Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Flatz Rust Pearl???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, Nov 8, 2010.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I am searching here and google and can't seem to find an actual picture of a vehicle painted Hot Rod Flatz Rust Pearl. Have any of you tried this color and if so can you post a picture of it? thanks.

2. I thought that was pomade...

3. Pearl clear over fake patina? Or is that the actual name of the color?

4. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

that is the actual name of the color...

5. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

google it and check under images. it lookss like red oxide with a purple ish tint,to me

6. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

7. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

my bad.. the image I saw was Vintage Burgundy Pearl

8. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

What's the point, wonders I......

If it has pearl in it, it has to be gloss, otherwise the effect of the pearl is lost. If it's a gloss finish, then it is just a shade of brown rather than "rust".

So that means it's just brown pearl......

Might be a nice looking color, regardless of the name, but, the name makes it seem like something it really can't be....Rust with a pearl look to it. :confused::confused:

9. duecesteve

duecesteve

Hi lotus my friend squirted some hotrod flatz and was not happy with it at all .we ended up painting his 34 w/16 cans of krylon flat black waited 2 weeks then i buffed it w/meguiars #7 it looked like we just dragged it out of a barn and tried to wax 30 year old paint went over well at cruise nights

10. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Rich, I agree with you on the rust name. The name "rust" is not what i care about...just looking for a root beer brown pearl or kandy type of color and the rust pearl looked like it might fit the bill.

11. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

House Of Color used to do a root beer candy .

12. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

There is another option for finding the "right" color. We used to do it this way 40 years ago when painting pearl jobs on cars where a candy color was not desired....
    If a suitable non-metallic color could not be found in a regular production color book, we'd go to a fleet color color guide. If no color could be found there we'd start looking through toners, and, as a last resort we'd start mixing toners to get the right shade.

Brown is not an easy color to find in a non metallic material (which shows the pearl effect much better than metallics), so the fleet color guide might be your best option, especially if you want to save a few bucks by not buying top of the line candies that require special base coats, etc.

Using a standard color as the base also makes any future repairs a lot easier to deal with.

13. gump

gump

Well that was a lot of help! Does anyone ever help on this board or just shit in everyone?

14. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

i thought he was asking for a picture request???????