Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Flatz paint ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sumo, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Classic_Crime_Inc

Classic_Crime_Inc

I wouldnt mind seeing a car that was sprayed with the metallic also..

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i used burgendy pearl flatz with great results . been on a yr. also used the flatz black metalic on my fenders . looks good also ................ steve
    *** im no painter , but i do like the paint & its look . its thin , so it will run !

3. pacemaker

pacemaker

This is their flat metallic. I like it 'cause it picks up a little light. It's a hard urethane, no hint of chalk, washes like a gloss acrylic. Can't say about UV resistance 'cause it's garaged. Pleased with the product. Make SURE you buy enough.

Attached Files:

4. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

I am less than a novice when it comes to painting cars but i shot my car a few weeks ago and i really like the outcome of the finish,Problem i had was getting sick but after posting a thread i realize that urethan paint will do that if you don't wear the right protection.Paint did lay down real good for me..

Attached Files:

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

33 chevy ,
    boy yea , the paint will plug your nose & get you high . be careful . wear something over your mouth , nose & eyes .... steve

6. Retrorod

Retrorod

Ford sleeper 2.jpg

Ford sleeper 1.jpg I didn't want "flat paint" so I used RM SC-804 "Matt Black" single stage. It's factory packed, just mix in the right amount of hardener and I thinnied it slightly with a medium reducer. It sets with a low gloss that I like and the finish is tough as hell.

7. Roth Fan

Roth Fan

I've thought about the same thing for my 35 Ford truck, since I really like both the copper pearl and the gold metallic. I think once you see a few pictures of the copper pearl shot on a few rides, you'll see that it's not as dark as the computer screen suggests (depends on the video card too I suppose). I hate to pull into a show and sporting the same hue as other guys there, but that copper pearl is a great look.

8. Dragrat

Dragrat

I am looking for paint suggestions for my pickup and thinking of somethin bright but matt?? any suggestions or pics out there

9. delta_schmelta

delta_schmelta
    from wnc

hey all, can anyone tell me what the difference between the kits are?

they come in slow/medium/fast kits,

the tech sheet says nothin about it. alls i can figure is that it's referring to the drying time.

any knowledge floatin around out there?

10. delta_schmelta

delta_schmelta
    from wnc

and also!

how much would it take paint a olds-boat-bile? i understand its pretty thin stuff....

11. Brahm

Brahm

I shot my '69 with Hot Rod Flatz last summer, first car I shot since High School (10 years). Laid down easy, and has held up great I keep it outside all summer with no cover, and drive it quite a bit we've been having a lot of road construction in our area, with a lot of rocks, ect kicking up while driving so far so good.

(ya ya not a hamb car..but w/e)

[​IMG]

(photos in the booth right after I put down the first coat)

http://www.pbase.com/brahm/image/101108128
    http://www.pbase.com/brahm/image/101108129
    http://www.pbase.com/brahm/image/101108133
    http://www.pbase.com/brahm/image/101108135
    http://www.pbase.com/brahm/image/101108137
    http://www.pbase.com/brahm/image/101108131
    http://www.pbase.com/brahm/image/101108145

12. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

Im a full time bodyman/painter since the mid 70s...Iv painted 3 cars with black hot rods flatz with slow hardener and put it on wet and even,when i was washing out my gun it looked like a gloss job and all 3 dryed spotty and streaky as hell, iv had no luck with it,,,i wish it worked for me because it covered well and was easy to spray....

13. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I'm interested in this thread due to cost. 5 or so years ago I bought PPG 2 stage base + candy for a late mode Honda to use on my chrysler. (slow I know, other stuff comes up ya know?) 1 gallon base, 1 gallon candy, and 1 gallon clear with all reducers and hardner cost over $1000 with a discount. Well I have used about 3 quarts spraying jambs, inner hood, inner trunk and engine parts. I now would like to finish up and spray the rest of the car and $300 for HRF sounds better than another $1000 or so. Anyone have some hard numbers for the alternatives to HRF flat or otherwise?

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Amen Brother!!! :cool:

15. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

A flattener was used on our 41'. We love it but is a bit more chalky that I would like. I used the hot rod flatz for the gas tank, axle and springs which I brushed on. Worked and looked great and is a durable as they come.

16. ford5t1

ford5t1
    from usa

hey guy's

what i like to know is how to prep your ride for some flat or eggshell paint.

i have a '65 ford f100 original paint so clear is comming of there are areas where a red oxide paint is used etc.
    can i send it with a fine grain and then shoot the paint or do i need to primer first??

by the way love the thread and learning..

see ya

17. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

Yes, that stuff will knock you down if you don't wear a mask!

18. Kerry67

Kerry67

I myself like the flat look. TO ME, shiny paint says "street rod" and flat paint says "Hot Rod".

Just my personal opinion.

19. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

I did this 50 ford HRF silver metallic..can't see the metallic that good on a flat color

Attached Files:

20. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

i think im gonna use flatz gold on the 49

21. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Me and a friend are shooting some this weekend. Copper pearl I think?

Anyway it's going to be a couple of guys shooting in a garage with with basic equipment .... and the combined experience of shooting maybe 2.5 cars between us.

There's still a place in this world for the do it yourself home amature.

22. Dirk

Dirk

Keep us posted on how it goes. I am thinking of buying some in the coming weeks.

23. vein

vein

mine came out great! it was about 70 degrees and I used a small amount of reducer, cause it seemed pretty thin when I stirred it! Make sure you have enough! like said above!

24. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Primers are fine but I like mine to shine. with that said I did shoot one of my club brothers 40 mercury cdan with Hotrodz Flatz copper pearl. I shot it with a devilbiss hvlp gt gun and it took 1.5 gals to shoot the whole car but that was including all the jambs,hood,trunk lid. It has a killer sheen and layed out great.

Attached Files:

Apenaut and davidh73750 like this.
  25. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

the slow/medium/and fast are drying times for the temps that your shop/garage is the day you are shooting. I live in the midwest and generally use fast as our shop is air conditioned and I like the way it dries and sprays. You should always shoot a test panel to see how your conditions are. ie gun pressure,fan of the gun spraying,the way it dries or lays down as you shoot and humidity. This way if there is a problem it is on some scrap sheetmetal(old hood/fenders/doors)and not on the car you just spent a lot of time prepping. Most important is to have fun and enjoy the build.

26. bustingear

bustingear

WHY NOT? Two words.....WET SAND!

27. Brahm

Brahm

heh I still need to sand mine HRF i layed down some bumps on a couple panels.

28. Paul B

Paul B

I shot My Dodge with the vintage maroon pearl, Everyone says what color you going to paint it. I say thats it, wheres the shine? WTF

29. Brahm

Brahm

any of you guys ever try to MIX Hot Rod Flatz? I'm thinking my '29 if I paint going a really dark flat blue, they have a midnite blue but it's not dark. I'm looking for something almost black but with a hint of blue in the sunlight.

30. Within reason, marginal bodywork will not look as bad on a flat (painted) car as on a shiny (painted) car. That's the only reason I would consider FLAT over SHINY. However, FLAT is harder to keep clean because the surface is usually a little more porous than SHINY paint. Also, Flat seems to hold more dirt and dust on the surface of your car body than shiny does.

Later
    Specs
    :D