Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Culture in and around Conway, South Carolina?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod1948, Sep 25, 2016.

1. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I am thinking of moving from the cold tundra to someplace warmer. Conway SC was suggested. I googled it, looked at Wikipedia, the town's web site, examined statistics, maps, tax rates, and real estate. Everything looks good so far, now comes the real questions and potentially the deal breakers.

What is the hot rod culture like in and around Conway? Are there HAMB members close by? What events are reoccurring and close? Are welding supplies, paint and body supplies, and steel readily available in Conway? How are the junk/salvage yards in the area, are there some and are they any good? These are important to the decision to relocate, and help from fellow HAMBers is greatly appreciated.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. I'll give you a bump 'cause I would like to hear what some locals might have to say. Good luck.

3. Hi I just read your post about possibly relocating to Conway. I live in Myrtle Beach which is right next door. We have some pretty good stuff going on car wise with Run to the Sun every March which brings well over 3000 cars to the area. We have several weekly cruise inns and a lot of cars in the area. We are only about 3 1/2 hours from Charlotte and Raleigh which both have great shows especially the auto fair twice a year. There's quite a few hambers in the area as well. I'm sure some of the assorted nuts group will chime in as well. Feel free to PM me and you can get my number I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Big SEG race coming up Oct 15th North Myrtle Beach Dragway, and a car show the same week end at the beach. Hopefully some folks in the area will chime in with more info about the area.

5. LowBro

LowBro

I live a few hours north around Wilmington NC the car scene is pretty great in Myrtle Beach and in Wilmington, Raleigh, Charlotte. As far as junk/salvage the east coast isn't the greatest. Everything rusts out here due to the humidity but as you get further out into Appalachia there are treasures to be found. I can't comment on the availability of welding/paint/body supplies in SC but in Wilmington there's plenty. There's a great swap meet and show in Charlotte at the speedway every year and a lot of great shows around every corner just about every month (we don't have the midwest's harsh winters). I relocated here years ago from Kansas and couldn't be happier. Although unlike the midwest you can't just drive around the country roads and find a field full of rust free cars, you have to dig a little deeper into the mountains. Good luck with the move, trust me it's worth it!
    Here's a few of my favorite shows
    http://www.rimsontheriver.com/
    http://www.portcitymopars.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/events/143883059350832/
    http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/tickets/fall_autofair/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  6. As 55hdyman said, Run to the Sun in March is a HUGE draw and right downtown MB! As good as anything GG or NSRA puts on! Quality stuff! Darlington is close, so you can get a drag fix! Assorted Nuts are in the area...get up with motoandy or beachbumjim for their info. Charlotte and Raleigh both have GG events, Wilmington, NC has several cool hot rod shows around the river, Charleston has some cool stuff (and Sock "Person" CircusBear). Right off I95 and I20, so getting anywhere is a breeze.

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Thank you all for this great information, I will continue the pursuit to move to this area!

lothiandon1940 and 55hdyman like this.
  8. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Should have included this in my earlier post,start Myrtle Bch.jpg spreadin the word!

48fordnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. I lived in Conway for a while,it's about 15 miles to Myrtle Beach but depending on the time of year it can take 20 minutes to a hour to get there.are

Just about anywhere you go in South Carolina you will find hamb members, the upstate has a lot of hot rod activity and Greer Drag Strip is the home base for SEG.

Brad host a swap meet once a month just across the border in Georgia. HRP

10. HRP won't steer you wrong.:D...........Personally, for myself, I would prefer to be in the "upstate" area in the foothills of Appalachia, as I'm not much of a "beach" area person. That salt air tends to eat up cars even a few miles inland.:(

lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  11. 56shoebox

56shoebox

The Run to the Sun show is amazing. Been there a few times over the years.

Don't forget the NASCAR scene and cool shops to visit.

My wife has one stipulation when we move. There must be a COSTCO near by.

12. dan31

dan31

Run to the sun is a great show to kick off the year,its hosted by the Pee Dee cruisers. They may be able to point you towards more local stuff as well.

13. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Again, thanks all. The HAMB is a great place and I very much appreciate the time you folks took to respond. Helps me make a better informed decision.

lothiandon1940 and beachbum jim like this.
  14. Yes to all except for the junk yards. anything old disappeared long ago. There is a great hotrod culture here and its getting better every year. Been living in the MB area for 16 years. I do auto upholstery and know many shops catering to hotrods and customs. Message me if you have any questions. Im also one of the founding members of the Assorted Nuts CC. We are a casual group of traditional car guys located in the Myrtle Beach area.

48fordnut and lothiandon1940 like this.