Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rod built by someone on arfons' crew?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by von birch, Oct 6, 2012.

1. von birch

von birch

A buddy of mine got a car in at his shop he claims to be historically significant and challenged me to name the builder of a baby Blue model a phaeton hot rod. I can't get a picture up but its full fendered, has a top, and a 56 olds drivetrain. The only other clue is that the builder was a mechanic who worked with art arfons. I haven't been able to come up with anything anywhere and it's killing me! Any info would be awesome!

2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

You need photos. Otherwise, the written word(s) leave out a lot of information. Maybe have a friend take pix and post them for you.

3. von birch

von birch

this should help

4. von birch

von birch

here it is

Attached Files:

5. von birch

von birch

It also was called the "fabulous phaeton" at its debut show. Sorry these clues are all over the place. But my buddy gives me new clues here and there.i believe it may have been one of the Maynschein (spelling?) boys who worked with arfons

6. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

pretty much says it all ^^the beauty of the hamb

8. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

Video says it all, very cool.

9. Great story,
    Great car!!!

10. Weasel

Weasel

That's killer - a de Luxe 1930 Phaeton - the factory two door - rare car and worth some $erious $$$....

11. von birch

von birch

12. My "vintage" computer wouldn't allow me to view the video but I can tell you a bit about the car. It was indeed built by Charlie Mayenschein from Fairborn Ohio(near Dayton)in the early 1950's. Charley was a crew member for Art Arfons and I have heard some really interesting stories about that.
    The car was featured in several small books in the '50's and I saw the car at the Commonwealth Armory show in Boston in 1959 or 1960.It sported many innovations including the body actually being widened several inches;1955 Packard torsion bar suspension(with electric self leveling)adapted to the Ford axles and in the trunk a reel-to-reel tape player run by an inverter.The car was driven all over the country including a couple trips from Ohio to Florida.
    Charley was sadly killed in a motorcycle accident sometime in the late 60's(I believe)and the car eventually wound up in the possession of Spike McMurtrie of Jackson Michigan.
    Spike is a good friend of mine and has quite a collection of rods and customs that he rotates frequently.In addition to the Fabulous Phaeton,he also owned Father Larry Ernst's 52 Ford convertible and currently has a 41 Ford custom built old style by Jack Walker.He also has a maroon 46 Mercury semi custom that he has owned for 50 years.
    Awhile back he gave me a video that showed not only the construction of the Phaeton but a bunch of pictures that had been put together of Charley's life including a couple of interviews with Art Arfons himself. I also had the privilege of riding in the Phaeton several times including a wild 90 plus mph run down a local highway and I can vouch for the fact that the car was one of the most stable I've ever ridden in.
    Spike sold it back to Charley's son several years ago and it was to be restored by him.There was also another roadster of similar construction that Charley never finished that was supposed to be done as well that his son owned.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That is great! I've been interested in this thing since I was about 13 or 14, maybe 1962, when a severely inadequate feature on it appeared inr the HRM Model A Ford book. They said just enough to make it clear that this was an astounding engineering job and build, but showed very little. The video clarifies a lot even as a silent...I'm at work on a library reference desk here and will have to listen another time.

14. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Neat Video... Sweet car too.. what a Cool story..

15. ditto on that !

16. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

WOW...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is probably one of the most amazing Hot Rod stories I have ever heard!

17. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

It was built by Charlie Mayenschein and his son Tommy still owns the car last I heard and Tommy Mayenschein is still living in the Fairborn area.

18. thinkfink

thinkfink

that post and video made my day.
    Thanks