Register now to get rid of these ads!

hopped down my inline six with a 1904

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Nov 22, 2005.

1. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I have a 100 mile commute coming up next year and this is my daily driver . . . the tri-carb set up sprung another vacum leak so I figured it was time to downgrade.

I rebuilt an old glass bowl holley 1904 and set up my inline six with block off plates to run a single carb. Those finned block off plates are made from scratch.. . way more work than it had to be but without those end carbs it just looked like it needed some detail at the block off plates.

I had to combine 3 carbs to get one to work. . thanks to Fiddyfour, Slowpoke215, and others for advice and resource materials. 1904's are pretty nice little carbs but they seem to have been made in an infinite number of small variations over the years. . a lot of the parts were not interchangeable.

I dig it. . . one adjustment screw on that carb once I got it jetted right. . . life is simple again.

Attached Files:

2. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Beautiful job. Those block off plates are awesome.

3. I want to see pictures of the rest of the car.

4. FONZI

FONZI

Looks good man,
    How much of a performance difference have you noticed?

FONZI

5. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Dude, I have the same set-up I am planning to put on my '61 Econo 5 window pickup. I just think it would blow their minds when I open the dog house ! What I have is a raw casting made by Ak Miller - they get 200+ horses out of the Falcon 170 back in '62. I also have a raw casting valve cover that was paired with the intake a cam and kit. Hope you bring back the other two carbs ! Dave:)

6. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Fonzi- I definitely lost power. . . but not as much as I thought I would. I used the biggest 1904 I could find. . . I won't win any races but I never did anyway.

Dude! !!!!!! you have some very rare stuff there. . . The finned valve cover I have is an edelbrock and it took me two years to find one of those. I would love to see photos of the AK Miller stuff. Econoline's are super cool. . . I really want to build one someday.. . . please post photos of yours as you go.

7. I love the glass bowl, they look great. I always thought the 1904 was really a drawback compared to the other 1 barrels you could have gone with. Like the Holley 1940 or the Carter. Both of those flow 195 and 225cfm respectfully. Was it the glass bowl youu couldn't pass up?

I'm running an electronic fuel pump, but i have a glass bowl mechanical fuel pump just in case I decide to switch back.

Since Todd went through the engine after the last time, has all been well?

8. farna

farna

Praise -- is that a Ford 170/200/250 six you have? Most of them have the intake made onto the head. I'm unfamiliar with your intake, but I know a couple companys made multi-carb setups where the cast in log was drilled and a carb base welded on. Yours doesn't look like that, but then there appears to be the end of a log under the front... Not enough engine shown for me to know if it's a Chevy, Ford, or what in-line. I know AMC in-lines good enough to ID with a quick glance, but not the others. Well, anyone should be able to ID a Chrysler slant six!!

9. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Yeah, sorry I left out that it is a Ford 200- the offenhauser manifold clamps onto the intake log and seals (or doesn't) with o-rings. . . vacum leaks are just part of the fun! After blowing out the o-rings a few times I mig'd in the grooves on mine and shaped it real tight to the log and now I seal it with a bead of silicone. . . seems to hold up. though I recently heard about a trick with lead rings replacing the rubber o-rings that may work better.

There is also an offy manifold for later heads with a flatter intake log - those seem to be a more reliable design but I've never owned one.

1904's also came on 223's - they are quite a bit bigger and are supposed to flow 195 . . you can i.d. them by looking for the pivoting venturi that is part of the choke assembly. . . see all the good things i've learned lately through painful trial and error?

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

i've been runnin the one 1904, getting ready to install the other two very soon, i thought the tiny carb would be good for mileage, but out of the box, it sucked! the carb was waaay rich on the big motor(mine's a 250) i had the smallest jet in it, and the idle screw turned all the way in, ended up drilling the air bleeds out a bunch, the high speed air bleed i doubled in diameter, much better mileage, and much better performance!

it sure is a pain trying to come up with a workable set of these, i finally got two fron 4t6ford to round out my set, after collecting about ten others!:rolleyes: