Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hooray for R&C

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Some time ago I wrote to Rod and Custom and they actually published my letter (it's in the issue with the yellow Buick with the Lincoln pushbuttons on the cover if you care). The gist of the letter was that they were losing the interest of young people because of their insistance on featuring high-dollar cars and writing high-dollar tech articles. I lamented the death of Hot Rod Mechanix and its budget focus even if they always did manage to find old parts that no one outside of Idaho and Colorado had a snowball's chance in heck of locating for those prices. Finally I said that they needed to build a budget rod using aftermarket pieces. Now, it would appear, they are doing it. Now odds are that Jim Rizzo has never even read my letter, that's not the point, what is the point is that I'm ecstatic they're doing it! Personally, I think $10,000 is a lot of money to build an RPU but I'm glad they're at least trying something and I know that we can always substitute as many junkyard parts as we want!

Anybody else as excited about this as me?

2. I've never met Jim Rizzo, but from his writing and editorial work he seems like a HAMB-type guy. IMHO R&C seems to be doing well so far under his stewardship, I'm looking forward to this build-up. If he can do it for $10K down in So Cal (without a bunch of freebies) more power to him.

3. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

I agree...I'm glad to see R&C take on a $5-a-pound project. Did you check out the roadster p/u cab...different and cool! [​IMG]

4. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I got a kick out of Ryan's car specs when he was young gun of the month.

5. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

R & C is coming around to the fact not everyone can afford a $20,000 to $50,000 rod.

6. [ QUOTE ]
    I got a kick out of Ryan's car specs when he was young gun of the month

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the best copy they have printed in YEARS.

7. 55olds88

55olds88

I noticed the project in the latest issue, good on em, they should be able to put something together for that $ pretty easy even with out the Monster Garage "hell someone jsut gave us these 3k wheels and tyres for free" thing going on.
    I think in the U.S. 10k ought to be plenty as long as they ain't shopping the work out, parts aint too expensive there are some good donor cars/engine + trans on the bay etc for pretty reasonable $

8. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you guys remember "low buck Larry" from I think it was American Rodder? That was a cool column, and very similar intent- do something cool for cheap!

9. just steve

just steve
    Member Emeritus

Lowbuck Larry was in Rodder's Digest . . . he still lives in Elgin, Il. Cheapest hot rodder on the planet.

And Matt -- a nailhead powered '32 and a V8 Healey? Sounds almost like my garage!

Steve.

32 Ford 3-window/322 nailhead
    1954 Chevy pickup/235
    60 AH Sprite/1330ccs of Screamin' British Fury

10. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]

That was the best copy they have printed in YEARS.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was a great one,but im a lil partital to Dec 03 issue :myself! grin: [​IMG] [​IMG]

is that Lukejivetalkers ex-project he's talking about???

i met Rizo last year and he is a way cool dude,and im sure this project will be way bitchin,...sucks he had to sell his shovel though....

11. Kaucher

Kaucher

I know Riz personally I've done artwork for R&C and he is a salt of the earth guy and he's down with the kind od rods we like to build. I've seen his cars and they'er in suede.

The problem is the magazine is largely funded by advertisers. They like to see the latest tech and shiny high dollar stuff featured, 'cause it sells more product.

If Riz had free reign the mag would be a much more traditional rag. KK