Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hookin up the Gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BUICKNAILHEAD, Dec 11, 2004.

1. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

I want to be school'd in the art of auto electric. I am setting up a gauge pod for the bindup. Have an Autometer Speedo and a cluster from a 1940's Poncho. The gas sending unit is still on the tank, Tank being from a newer 12 volt setup. Can I just plug in the sending unit to an old gauge? Or do I have to get a reducer or something to help the gauge read properly?

[​IMG]

2. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

3. Dirty2

Dirty2

You probabally have to have reducer. Because they work off of resistance.

4. CptStickfigure

CptStickfigure
    from Urbana, IL

You'll need to match both voltage and resistance.
    If you've got 6v gauges, you'll need a voltage reducer.
    You also need to match the sending unit to the gauge, since different manufacturers use different resistances to read empty and full.

5. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

If you are running a 12v systems in the car and the sender is a 12v sender the only thing you need to match up is the resistance - doesnt matter if the gauge is 6v or 12v - the gauge only reads the resistance to give you a fuel level.

I have a 12v 47 ford sender running through a 47 ford 6v gauge and it works a treat - the car runs a 12v system though.