Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hood Pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I've searched around on here but didn't find an answer. When did hood pins start to show up. I know there have always been different types of pins and latches. I'm talking about good 'ol fashion hood pins.

I'm getting ready to start putting together a 62 Comet gasser based around 1964. I'm not really sure if I even want pins but it got me to thinking, when did they become popular?

Anyone have any old catalogs or pics?

2. I think those came out of NASCAR originally. When car speeds started getting up there, they had issues with the stock hood latches and first installed these as back-ups, then they became the only thing holding on body panels. I want to say these showed up on stock cars in the early 60s, then crossed over into drag racing a year or two later.

3. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

My 1966 Honest Charley catalog has them listed and I know they were available sooner than that. I will try and scan and post the page here if you want. I would say that they would be correct for a 64 era car, especially considering the amount of 70's equipment that seems to get a pass here.

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Coolness!! I had wondered this myself!

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I too have been wondering about this.

I'd also like to know what sorts of pins/clamps/fasteners were used on lakes racers, if any.

6. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Steve!-That would be cool if you can scan it.

I never thought about a NASCAR connection. Makes sense though.

I know what you mean by 70s stuff getting a pass. That's why I wanted to know, even if I don't go that route.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Cerberus

Cerberus

The 1964 Ford Thunderbolt hood pins would look period correct.

8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Makes me wonder to. Of course if my hood came back up over the windshield ,the last thing I would worry about is period correct.

SS327 and vtx1800 like this.
  9. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

OK, here are scans from my 1966 Honest Charley catalog and my 1966 Eelco catalog both showing the "traditional" style hood pins. Notice Honest Charley offers the "false" hood pins if it's just that competition look that you're after! I also threw in the adjacent page featuring the Honest crew "theyselfs" just for kicks. 3rd pic is the Eelco page. Dig the aluminum bucket seats just below the hood pins - only $16.95 each on the price list page! Oh yeah, if you "double click on the images they should open in a new window and you can zoom in to read better.

Attached Files:

10. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple Nascar pictures from 1960 showing the hood pins also, so I would say that they are period correct for any 60's build. If I get the time, I will try and go through my magazines to see when the earliest use that I can find pictured on drag cars.

11. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Cool scans. I dig the Tri-five axle kit. See, not all gassers ran parallel springs.

I guess if they were already making false pin kits then the real deal would be kosher for the time period.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Jinteryopk

Jinteryopk

My father in law says his team at chrysler invented them. They had a plastic hood that wouldn't latch in the typical way-because the plastic wouldn't hold the latch unit, it just ripped out. He suggested the hood pin as we know it today. They considered it to be ugly and klunky but it worked so they used it. I believe him because he was always fixing stuff around my house. He made a bunch of other of inventions for Chrysler. Worked on Gas Turbine engines, etc. He passed away this summer. RIP

SS327 likes this.
  13. BJR

BJR

I remember them showing up on the cars on the street in 1965 or 66.

14. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If pins are all you're using, DO NOT forget to put them in. Your lift off hood will become a kite. Don't ask how I know. Posting for a friend.

15. BJR

BJR

Hood pins were a fad like head rests were in the mid 60's, for cars that didn't come with them. All the auto parts stores sold them, and all of us 16 and 17 year old first time car owners bought them.

caprockfabshop likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dzus fasteners were, and still are use extensively on all manner of race cars. They came from the aircraft industry.

A walk around the pits at Bonneville will reveal that racers there are probably largely funding that company.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/dzus-fasteners-when-were-they-used-first.850699/

Properly mounted, they sit flush with the panel.

[​IMG]
    Later versions could be had with an allen key, butterfly tabs, or small handles.

With a dimple die, the plate is not needed. If painted they appear nearly invisible.
    PXL_20220720_214912625.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2023
    2Blue2 likes this.
  17. BJR

BJR

I think the point of hood pins was to show everyone you had a race car. Didn't want to hide them back in the 60's.