Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hood latch adjustment question for 49-54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadLuck, Mar 17, 2013.

1. BadLuck

BadLuck

Hey guys, need help...
    My hood latches down tight and secure.. I even try grabbing and shaking it to see if it pops up and it stays secure.... if i hop on the freeway, it always pops up a little. Its still kind of latched, but I need to pull over and push it back down that last couple inches. You can hear it latch in nice.. It will last awhile then.."pop".. back up it goes. Is there a trick to getting this adjusted right? i screwed the spring latch in.. back out.. still have the problem. Is it better to have that spring latched on the hood screwed out more..or screwed in closer to the hood? Any help would be appreciated.. scares the crap out of me when i see it pop up! Thanks, CJ

2. bamabob

bamabob

I've had that issue before and it was caused by being screwed too far in. It was not able to seat all the way into the latch and would slip back out. If the latch can't fully close over the point it won't stay latched.

Try screwing it out further to let it seat deeper into the latch to the point you can move the hood up and down a little but it won't release without pulling the release lever. Then fine tuned it by turning it in 1/4 turn at a time until play is gone.

3. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks so much for the tip, I'll try that tonight.. ... I also just noticed tonight the little spring under the actual latch.. is kind of weak. i can barely jiggle the release handle while my hood is up, and it opens that release pretty easily. You think just the vibration of when i hit bumps in the road, its actually releasing it? Im thinking of swapping the spring with a little bit stronger one ?? what do you think?

4. bamabob

bamabob

Could also be the problem. It won't hurt to replace it just to be sure it holds the latch closed.