Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home Grown Paint Jobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blurr, Feb 22, 2008.

1. The Blurr

The Blurr

Lets see some do it yourself paint jobs pictures. I am about to paint my '60 T-Bird. Just wanted to see how others have turned out.

2. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Painted at home in my garage with DuPont ChromaOne/base,clear flames. 10 years old.

[​IMG]

3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Another 22 years old. Painted with DuPont Centari.

[​IMG]

4. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Both of the ones above look really good. Hope some others post pics. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

5. 2-TONED

2-TONED

single stage dupont. - 'no clear' this is the next day after i painted it. (painted the whole car the same day) this was before sanded & buffed. -- blow this pic up there wasnt a spec of dirt or dust in it the paint laid down like glass. - 55 nomad i decided it was to be painted 'red' in 1996 when i bought it. painted march 07.

[​IMG]

6. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

This is about 15 yrs old now, it's a mix of BC/CC, laquer and two stage, on different parts I was very fortunate to have them match perfectly. Painted in a two car garage

Attached Files:

• 053.JPG
      053.JPG
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

this was painted in that lil garage..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Sam, that is SICK I dig it!

I'm going to be painting my '53 hopefully in the next month. For you guys who've done it, it's curretntly dp90 over the original paint, should I sand away all the dp90 and spray over the old paint or just scuff up the dp90 and shoot it?

9. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Painting is too hard to do in the home garage nowadays. I painted my daily driver pickup truck in my barn a couple years ago. I made a temporary booth out of plastic sheet and used a HVLP outfit from TIP, the people that make sandblasters. It worked OK. The HVLP gun does not lay it out as smooth as a high pressure gun. Probably just the brand of gun, a good gun would probably do better. It was base/clear so I just put on a little more clear to be sure I had enough to sand and buff. It turned out good. I'll post a pic, but it is a little out of the realm of the board. I hope it does not bother anyone.

[​IMG]

10. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

painted in garage at home

Attached Files:

11. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

guide coat the dp90 and block it with 400 grit. re guide coat and block again with 600 grit then paint.

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

So I should just spray primer over my exsisting paint, block it and I'm all set?

13. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

id wet sand it first to give the paint a little something to grip onto...

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Not HAMB freindlies.....but I painted all these in my dusty garage...

A golf cart....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My ol' truck.......

[​IMG]

A freinds bike I just did....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. I was envisioning one of those hunting trucks with "homegrown" leaves painted all over it.

;)

16. The Blurr

The Blurr

That is the most insane color combo but it looks sooo bitchin. I have seen this car around and it is one of my favoriate. Hats off to you!

17. Doing this candy paintjob was probably the most challenging thing I've ever done on a car. I split it up into three paint jobs actually -- all in my back yard. One for the cab and doors, and two different days for the bed, tailgate, headlights, headlight rings, grill, dashboard, gas tank, and other little parts. Each time it was like a whole day's worth of work -- with eleven coats of paint each time from start to finish. With candy, you can't make any mistakes or you're screwed. It's a real pain in the ass, but real fun at the same time. It's not totally perfect, but at least I can say I did it myself.

Attached Files:

18. The Blurr

The Blurr

What would be the hardest part in shooting the candy. Is the material very thin? Hard to work with? All of the above. I am asking beacuse I am planning on spraying candy or pearl over metal flake.

19. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

here a couple cant get the others to load

Attached Files:

20. The hardest part for me was getting the timing right in between coats and working fast mixing paints and stuff to try to keep up. You have a real narrow time frame where you have to be ready to start shooting the next coat between the candy coats and between the clear coats. You have to mix up each coat separately. You CAN'T run out of candy or you're screwed. I cleaned the gun in between each coat. When the previous coat is still tacky, but not stringy, you have to start shooting the next coat. You have to hold the gun exactly the same distance from the surface and perpendicular to the surface all the time, and you have to overlap the coats very accurately or you'll get streaks or light or dark patches. You need to get it wet enough to flow out smooth, but not enough to get any runs. You can't get any runs in the candy or it looks like crap and it's a pain to fix. If you put a coat on when the previous coat was still too wet or too dry, the paint can crinkle up or not stick to the previous coat. You have to make a game-plan about how you're going to paint everything so that your overspray won't go back and mess up something you've already finished and so that you can keep track of exactly how much candy you've put on everywhere. It gets a little darker with each coat. There's just so many things that can go wrong to screw it up, that it's kind of amazing if you can pull it off. The guy at the paint store thought I was nuts for trying to do a candy job myself, and said "it'll be a miracle if it comes out nice". I think I took that as a challenge. Just little things like keeping the sweat on your face from dripping onto the wet paint or making sure that the hose doesn't touch the fresh paint make every step sort of a torture. Whatever can go wrong on a normal base coat clear coat job is about four times more likely to go wrong on a candy job.

I don't know how good they look, but HOK sells some paints that are sort of in between a base coat clear coat and a candy job. The base coat is a mixture of color and glitter, and then you shoot clear over that. They call it "candy base coat" I think. I did the real deal candy though -- kandy tangerine over my own secret recipe mix of HOK base coats. The base coats are easy. It's all the candy coats that are tricky.

21. kisam

kisam

One of mine!

Attached Files:

22. Reds 29

Reds 29

I've done these two in the garage, and agree with most of what was said about painting at home. I've used basecoat, clearcoat coat systems. I found good lighting was real important. I found mounting lights on the side walls helped get even coats of paint down low on the body.
    Red

Attached Files:

23. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

they say its the easiest candy to shoot. im getting the paint system for my 49 its going to be a candy brandywine with a champagne pearl bottom using the 56 chevy trim as a break point. according to Valspar you can do panel jobs with the stuff just like the colorshifts. so if i get a scratch or have an accident i can patch it in instead of an all over. plus if you ever shot candies before you know how easy it is to have one "die" on you, with the basecoat system it wont happen at all and if you have light areas you can just hit them a little more if needed and then clear it out like a regular base coat.
    i haven't shot this system yet but the paint is supposed to be on the way and hopefully in the next few months ill be spraying!!

24. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

here is mine as i was shooting it in my garage and the other 2 were taken a year or so after

Attached Files:

• pain.jpg
      pain.jpg
      File size:
      21 KB
      Views:
    • 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
    • pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
  25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I dont know what it is... I can do lotsa stuff, but I NEVER could paint with a spraygun. It frustrates the shit out of me! I have a saying... " Stupider people than me do it everyday" when I try something new. But goddamit I just cannot paint! Its like Shaq and freethrows. I'm looking at this post and getting pissed. I should be able to do that...
    I've got my new shop truck ready for paint and I'm haunted by it.. Anybody want to come to Strange Days and shoot my truck?

26. MP&C

MP&C

Sprayed this one with Imron:

[​IMG]

This one's all House of Kolor

[​IMG]

Some tribal flames:

[​IMG]

27. I painted this a few weeks ago in my garage. I know this truck doesn`t fit the theme of the site, but it`s the only thing I`ve got to show. :)

[​IMG]

28. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First paint job and sprayed in driveway. No dust or grit. Cool!! Sprayed using a $20 pawnshop gun.
    Very heavy metalic with blue and white pearl.

29. Flatman

Flatman

Here's mine being shot and after.
    10-12-07_2034.jpg

036a.jpg

035a.jpg

Flatman

30. Soon to debut at the round-up!