Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home Depot Dynamat clone ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ric, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Had someone (can't remember who) tell me he bought some insulation material at Home Depot that was similar to Dynamat but a whole lot cheaper. A visit to my local Home Depot did not turn up anything even remotely close. Anyone ever see anything like this ?

2. Master of None

Master of None

Do you have a Menard's in your area? Its in the basement section, I can't remember the brand but its the same stuff with a white paper wrapping instead of the foil.Think it was under $20 too.

3. Nads did but HAMBer Lobucrod in Texas has a product many folks rave about. I plan on using it.

The lumber yard stuff is used as window sealer and valley flashing.

4. axisally666

axisally666

I did my 55 with the stuff. It is in the roofing section. It comes in 20 foot by 6 inch rolls. Took 5 rolls to do a 4 door station wagon.

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't see white paper having heat resistant qualities like the foil, but it might deaden sound.

6. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

This has been discussed and hashed over many times at another site I frequent. Basically, it works, but it is tar based, come sin narrow strips, and some people (not all) who used it said the car smelled like tar on hot sunny days.

I can give you some links to the site if you are interested. Beware, it is a Camaro site. :eek:

7. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

Thank's Master Of None. I am looking for the same
    Don't want to spend the high DOLLAR for the Dynomat.........PINCHER

8. maniac

maniac

I'll second that, good stuff, you won't be sorry using it

http://www.lobucrod.com/

9. Dave 39

Dave 39

I believe it's called ''Peeland Seal''. Big box store in the roofing section. Cheap, works good. Dave

10. Master of None

Master of None

I've mainly used it on floor boards and such to deaden the sound of the road haven't had a bad tar smell yet but maybe I'm lucky.

11. F&J

F&J

I read about it here on hamb...blame them, not me:D

I could not find it on Home Depot website. So, I went in person but had to ask 3 sales reps. I don't recall if it was in roofing or near the gutters. I asked for self stick flashing and also asked for self stick gutter repair.

It goes in well. Under 50 degrees, warm it up. When warm, you'd better have your aim good...it sticks good :) I worry a lot with self stick not sticking in spots, so I also smoothed it with a dolly to apply firm pressure to make sure it all stuck...or use the mini roller for formica.

It is soft aluminum with some sort of tar/rubber mix.

12. I did an O/T van with Reflectix. Foil covered bubble wrap. Comes in three widths. Van seems to stay cool inside, but we haven't had a good hot day to really see how good it is.

I should add not all stores seem to stock it the same, one local Home Depot had all three widths (like 16", 24" and 48"), another only had the 48" (or maybe had none, I can't remember now).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  13. MERRELL

MERRELL

its called quickroof,it has foil backing just like dynamat,comes in 6"x30'ft rolls for about 15$,sticks great!!

14. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Thats it,,, you can also find it in Lowes home inprovement stores
    just a different name.

I did my C-10 pick up, doors, floors, firewall, and behind the gas tank,
    been in the hot sun here in ga. no tar smell.

15. beanis

beanis

I've done several projects with "Fat Mat" (eBay)...works great.

16. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Saw this thread and spent a while looking for more info on other sites. There is lots of info on the car stereo forums. It appears that there are two kinds of roof products. One is asphalt based and can give the tar smell. The other is butyl based and is much more like Dynamat and the others. The butyl apparently is harder to find but is the better choice.

Please note that I have not done any testing myself, although this is on the short term project list for me.

FWIW

17. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

I bought it at Lowes before. A Shitload cheaper than dynomat,

18. 59 brook

59 brook

i used peel and seal in a 3" x 50' roll think i got it in lowe's def in the roofing section white box think it was about $75 a roll

19. Was in Lowes today, so I took a look......stuff is called Peel & seal and a couple other brands. It looks similar to Fatmat, etc, but is way thinner.....like not even half as thick. Basically foil tape with some glue on it. Maybe if you put on 2 layers....then it's not cheap. Get what you pay for I guess....

20. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Spend the money for good material, if you put this on any vertical surfaces it is very likely to come off especially when it gets the sun baking your body panels. If that is inside your doors you can imagine the problems it will create for your window tracks. I have also heard of it leaching through and ruining carpets sets.

I used this product in an Off topic car, I really liked it.
    http://www.raamaudio.com/index.php?...ion=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3&vmcchk=1&Itemid=3

More expensive but you get what you pay for.

Last edited: May 1, 2010