Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley carb help !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blacktopicasso, May 19, 2013.

1. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

I'm old school and have used carter and thermoquad carbs on most all my cars all my life. I recently purchased a new from autozone Holley 600cfm man. choke carb for my 350. It has headers and a wieand tunnelram. My "DUMB "question is were are the adjustment screws to you adjust the air fuel mixture to set these carb. I'm running rich out the exhaust, even after warmed up. I thing some is due to the intake but I'd like to lean out the carb some if possible before I take to swapping intakes.
    Appreciate any help. Thanks

2. slammed

slammed

3. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Look at the metering block between the float bowls and main body. They're on each side.

5. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

see vid... there on the sides
    i have turned them in to a light touch and then back out 5 -1/2 turns,
    or 2.5 back out it has ALWAYS worked for me...
    now days there's these vids to learn from...
    :cool:

6. Dave B.

Dave B.

To answer your basic question, the screws to adjust the IDLE mixture are on the metering block. Looking at the front of the carb, the first thing you see is the front float bowl. The metering block is the thick rectangular plate directly behind the float bowl. The idle mixture screws are recessed into the side of the metering block, down below the center-line.

Here's Holley's on-line manual for those carbs. The one they picture is an electric choke model, but the written instructions cover manual chokes, too.
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R7948-5rev6.pdf

I'd say your biggest problem is that you live at over 4,300 feet above sea level! The tunnel-ram is just compounding your woes. You'll probably have to re-jet the carb to get it to run right - and - you may also need to replace the power valve. Holley has a great tech line. I'd give them a call and describe your set-up, making sure that they know how far above sea-level you live. The number is: 1-270-781-9741.

Good luck with your new carb!

7. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

Thanks for the holley hotline and the videos to watch. I'll try this before changing things on the carb. Thanks again.