Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 1904 single barrel glass bowl carb question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Blake84

Blake84

Bought this off eBay....in pictures carb looked perfect...upon arriving there is a corner missing. It APPEARS to still have nice seal all the way around. I only plan on keeping if he refunds a large portion of my purchase. From the first pic you can see the glass still forces pressure between metal of the carb and the gasket where the corner is missing...it seems as tho the corner really wouldn't affect the gasket seal but I was hoping to find professional opinions

My questions

1. is it fixable or will it even effect it? I do not have the piece missing it was not in the box

I was under impression the gasoline didn't even fill up to the top. Does it build up enough pressure to force gas out if not as air tight as other corner?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

IMHO it shouldn't effect anything, the lip is only there to keep the gasket in place. If it bothers you, I would just find another 1904, as you know its the glass bowl thats hard to find. FYI the glass bowl will fit on a metal bowl 1904, just need the glass bowl retaining ring etc. Personally I would run it, as long as it doesn't leak.

Your right, the fuel should not get up to that point, my 1904 glass bowl usually runs about 3/4 up the glass.

I would bet that it was not packed well, and the box got dropped in shipping.

3. Blake84

Blake84

Thanks for your time to answer my question. I'm hoping the guy will refund me some of my money because it is damaged and not like advertised. I'll probably keep it. It doesn't look like it should be affected

4. If it bothers you build the lip back up with J-B weld. Longs as it seals you are fine.Be careful removing & replacing the glass. They can chip or crack pretty easy.

5. Blake84

Blake84

Thank you...I have been told to not tighten too tight at all ...I may try the jb weld TOMMORROW. Thanks for idea

6. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I have a couple of 1904's with glass bowls none of the ones I have have a lip like that that I can think of. It doesn't look like it'll effect it but if it were me it would bug me enought to take a file to the inner part of the lip and possibly outside just to round off the corners to make it look nice.

7. Fingers Phil

Fingers Phil

I am in need of a 1904 carb. wondering if you may have one for sale.