Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hollander help 60 elcamino frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k9racer, Dec 15, 2012.

1. k9racer

k9racer

OK will the frame from a 2 door car exchange with a elco?? Oh yes is the windshield the same?? Thank You..

2. Frames interchange all except convertible. Windshield is shared only with wagon and post sedan - hardtop and convertible are different.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I can't speak about a 60 but I'd be surprised if a regular body frame would not fit. In the old roundy round days a convertible frame was sought out to build a Chevelle oval track race car on. The only difference was some extra boxing that made it stronger. The book said it was different too. A coupe body bolted right on.

I had to replace my frame on a 65 El Camino. (Chevelle body) It had the extra boxing for strength also. Unfortunately the boxing grabbed the mud and rusted out the frame prematurely. The Hollander book said it was special too. What I'm trying to say is that it might not match in the Hollanders book but if you add the boxing from your frame to a sedan frame it might just work. Or at least replicate the boxing. I'd want the extra strength.

I understand that I'm talking about Chevelles and not Impalas but I'd do some research on the exact difference between the two frames before you give up hope. Hollanders are for junk yards and not hotrodders.

4. X-frame cars are much different than Chevelles.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I understand that. I'm just saying that a sedan frame may be able to be able to be modified easily to work and be just as strong. It's worth investigating. I could be all wet. I don't know the difference. Model A frames and Deuce frames are completely different but here are a bunch of As riding around on Deuce frames.:D

6. The El Camino is built on a wagon frame I believe as far the specific suspension parts like springs. Although I think the wagon frame is the same as the rest as rustyNY listed. I am not aware of any special additional reinforcements for the wagon or El Camino. I had both 59 and 60 El Caminos, wish I had another.......

The windshield is also as rustyNY said. You need the taller wagon/sedan version. The hardtop/convertible is about 2 inches shorter.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The interchange book I have states all are the same except convertible also.

8. k9racer

k9racer

Thanks guys. I was aware of the chevelle conv and sw frames as I ran the conv frame under several 65 chevelles circle track cars. This afternoon I purchased the 60 elco { long outside storage} and a 60 2dr with B pillar parts car. As I tear down I will inspect the damage. The elco frame is twisted to the side and upward from the X forward. I payed a lot more than this mess is worth. On the plus side W engine with dip stick on Pass side. T 10 trans with leaking tail housing. Thanks again as I knew I could depend on the HAMB.