Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hole in roof of 36 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41Stude, Dec 22, 2015.

1. 41Stude

41Stude

I have a 36 Plymouth Coupe with the traditional hole in the roof. I made my own steel insert for it but do not want to weld it in. I would like to cover it with Marine grade vinyl or something similar. Can anyone tell me if I must put anything between the steel and the vinyl to ensure it sticks? I want it to look somewhat traditional. I like the cloth roofs. Thanks for the help. I will be posting pictures in my profile of the build.

2. If you want it to look similar to the original insert I would suggest using a thin padding and cover it with a vinyl top material,glue both the padding and the metal with 3M adhesive,then spray the padding and the top material with the 3M.

Spraying both surfaces makes for a permanent bond.

How do you plan on attaching the top? HRP

3. 41Stude

41Stude

I am working on that as we speak. Thinking about sliding into studs in the front and a hinge system in the back. I would like to remove it during the nice days of summer. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks for the reply.

4. BobPer

BobPer

41Stude, Here is the one I made for my current 36 (the coupe in my avatar). I made the top on my english wheel, and it has a 1/4" lip around the perimeter facing down. The inner structure has a 1/4" lip facing up, and is a material thickness smaller so they nestle together and have small spot welds around the perimeter to hold them together. Each piece is flimsy on it's own, but when tack welded it becomes very strong. It bolts into place, and uses a rubber gasket. Technically you can remove it by unbolting it, but once it's bolted in place that's where it lives. Take a look at my albums of my other 36's, and if you'd like to see all the metal work done on this coupe, I can send you a link to my Flickr picture album of the build. Bob
    1936 Dodge roof insert 014.jpg 1936 Dodge roof insert 012.jpg 1936 Dodge roof insert 008.jpg

Paul B, exterminator and Texas Webb like this.

5. Real nice work there Bobper.

6. indyjps

indyjps

7. 41Stude

41Stude

Thanks for the idea indyjps. I never thought about the latch type. Only concern would be the vibration sliding the latch open and then it would look like an ejection hatch. LOL. I really do appreciate the suggestion.

Bobper, thats some serious metal work you did. I am not in that league however I did build something I think I will use. I started by using my shrinker/stretcher building a frame that has a 1/2 inch lip down and 1 inch lip overlap the top. After getting the correct shape I tack welded a piece of sheet steel over it bending the edges around. Very rigid at that point. I plan to cover it with Marine grade vinyl. I am looking at using dowels to slide the front in and using some sort of locking latch on the back. Putting a thin rubber seal under the overlap lip will hopefully seal it. Yours looks great but I dont have that talent.