Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holdens?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stone, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LabRat

LabRat

Rex's FJ was rebuilt and turned up in 08 ...

2. After turning the whole house upside down, I managed to find the photos of what I thought might be the Warren Armour Holden FJ. This Fj, Revival, was sitting in a wrecking yard in Whyalla South Australia, so I stopped to photograph it. I should have stopped to buy it! What do you say fella's, do you think it might be it, look at the layed back 'A' pillars??
    I also managed to pick up an Armour tripple carb manifold for a Holden Red motor from the Naracoorte Swap Meet many years ago complete with 3 x Stromberg 97's with linkage, speco fuel block etc. for $35 - I beet him down from $50, Cheeky or what? LOL!

Attached Files:

3. I know that it might not be stricktly H.A.M.B. friendly as with some of the cars previously shown and mentioned , but lets not forget this ground pounding custom built in S.A. and now owned by a friend. 308, 4 x downdraft webers and apparently goes like a cut snake! The pictures are NOT distorted, it is about a foot wider than when it was born at Woodville.

Attached Files:

4. rooman

rooman

Colin Townsend took me for a ride in that car several years ago. Not only fast in a straight line but it corners on rails too.

Roo

5. While Im at it, here are some photos of an auction that myself, Spoggie and a mate attended at Maitland, South Australia. The V.T. Holden was current so it makes this auction about 1998 -2000.
    Toop Motors was a very old South Australian Holden Dealer with branches in Peterbourgh, Victor Harbour and Maitland.Well Maitland was the last dealership to close and old Toop was retiring and was selling the lot. :eek:
    All of these cars pictured were very low milage trade ins that he collected through-out his 50 + years as a G.M./ Holden dealer. Some had speedo readings as low as 4000 miles and were mostly 1 owners! Check out the custom factory order blue with white trim HD !(rego 7575)
    The signwritten FX ute is the oldest known Holden ute around Mr Toop said as he instucted the auctioneer.There were heaps of N.O.S. parts auctioned off as well. From memory, all prices were very reasonable. Mmmm.....pre E-bay days maybe.

Attached Files:

6. Heres another few.This is what happens when you wash your car too much. It shrinks.

Attached Files:

7. One more lot. This is my first car, being an Aussie,I had to have an FJ. There I am 16 years old under the bonnet with the first part that I ever bought for my car, a sports air cleaner. Next was a set of headers from the Shell Smithfield speed shop. Gradually, the build went on to be finished a year later and there I am leaning on the front guard picking up my new girlfriend on the 06/02/1882 at Hendon, South Australia. I'm still married today to the same girl.

Attached Files:

8. One of the best street machines ever built in this country. It came to Perth many years ago and it was great to see it in the flesh after reading about it in magazines.

10. Sideplatesix

Sideplatesix

Gday Guys

From what I had heard, the Amours had held onto their FJ all these years and were restoring it.

It could be 'Shes Ace', Peter Hines sold it to Melbourne when he finished with it,
    but it could have been bought back into South Australia after that.

Or, It could have been an local Whyalla product, that we never saw in Adelaide.

Sorry, no definative answer from me.

here's a pic of Warren Amours FJ & Peters Hines's FX to compare though;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sideplatesix, are you responsible for this engine below? If so, It 's soooo good, I took numerous photos of it at Uraidla and other fine summer social occasions where people prefer to have their bonnets up than down. Whoh!
    Looks similar to my motor in my first F.J. which actually is the very same motor in Spoggies F.J. (see previous posts) as it sits today. All built up from pocket money and favours (true high school budget) The benchmark when we were young and bullit proof was 70 M.P.H. in 2nd gear up Anstey's Hill, way up the up the top of Grand Junction Road in the hills.....All Whilst drinking a can of Woodies Lemonade of course!

Attached Files:

12. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

That wreck is not the Armour car, when Craig Harris built the Armour car he lengthened the doors and the wreck does not appear to have lengthened doors. The Armour car was sold to Bill Sivertsen in Canberra and he raced it as the Dial A Date car. As has already been stated it is back in the Armour familys possession now.
    Has anyone got any pics of the Lance Simmers FJ coupe it is / was one of the best of all.
    Roo Man I remember when the Prentice/ Elliott Holden came over from South Australia to Sydney's Castlereagh Dragstrip and ran the first 14 second pass for a sideplate motor, I think it was around 1967 at the first Mr. Holden race a 14.99 from memory, Those Maxwill Motors were and still are good horsepower delivery units.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  13. Sideplatesix

Sideplatesix

Yes, Thats mine :D
    Thanks for the nice comments ;)

Thank you to Bob, for clearing up my misinformed Amour story.
    I wasn't told it went to canberra, but at least my source had the bit about it now being with the Amour's is right.
    Probably more good fortune than fact :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Jeff

14. I wonder what became of this one?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  15. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

16. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

17. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

18. RM-Special

RM-Special

Well ,seeing that Warren Armour's car is back with the family I can stop dreaming about finding it in a shed somewhere ,(and go back to dreaming of finding Warren Afflick's ex Sonny Routt twin engine triumph drag bike).
    Rooman thanks for those neat drag pics.
    Here is a fave of mine ,cheers RM
    [​IMG]

19. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Sports car conversions based on early holden cars and parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

21. Didnt Tony Rich in the late 70's have a mate by the name of Henry or Harry have this car sitting next to his driveway in Penny St, Redwood Park? It rings a loud bell!

22. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

So, any recent pictures of Chopper's bad ass custom?
    Is he the same guy that owns the shop that built this ages ago? This picture doesnt do this pick up justice, its really nice and well proportioned, something hard to pull w/ these. They always seem to fall outta preoportion when cut up.

Attached Files:

23. Hey Bonez, Im doin an interstate trip and goin to choppers party tomorrow. I'll see if I can satisfy every one with the latest of latest pictures....that is if he flops it out that is...The custom I mean. His mainline I spoze will be there. I'll snap one for you on that as well.I'll send it to you as I might get told off if I post it on this thread.Cheers.

24. autobilly

autobilly

Most of you have heard of Larry O'Toole if not read his books. A year or so ago I picked up a copy of his '04 Graffiti publication; Australia's Hot Rod Heritage ($49.95).
    If you haven't seen/got it, it's a mostly photographic history of early hot roding in Oz. there are also sections on Aussie customs and early drag racing. Although we all know and dig the famous US scene, there doesn't seem to be much published about our hot rod heritage, therefore this book is really kool.

25. Yes Auto billy- well said. I have those Graffiti titles. These, and a lot of other books these days, could rise from very good yet difficult:confused: to excellent:)- if they contained INDEXES.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  26. Its been finished for a couple of years now.
    This was at Chopped 2009.

[​IMG]

27. tmf

tmf

Bob the Lance Simmers coupe lives 50 metres from my place being restored as we speak. I will get some pics and add to this thread soon.

28. Scumdog

Scumdog

Waay cool car - like a baby Chevelle!!

Speaking of which, one of my mates (in the 70's) had an FJ car fitted to a box-section chassis, with later front ifs and 9" rear - AND fitted with '55 F-100 272/3speed standard trans!!

Went well - until the trans kinda screwed up.:eek:

29. GlenC

GlenC

Lance Simmers FJ Coupe...

I went for a ride in it one day in 1970 around the back streets of Woolongong, I'm still shaking!

Lance told me a bit about its construction, under the smooth paint it was a patchwork quilt of bits of body panels, all welded together to get the shape right. He 'paddock bashed' it for a while after finishing the body, just to make sure it would stay together. It obviously did...

It was the 'baby poo mustard' colour when I knew it in 1970, don't know if the blue version is a later or earlier paint job. Cool car though...

Cheers, Glen.

Attached Files:

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah i know, couldnt find most recent pics of it in my pc.
    But the question is: is he the same guy buildin the chopped Holden?
    now that i think of it, this is a Ford ute, not an Holden.....doh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.