Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hoe Do I Remove 59A Front Crank Pulley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A BONED, Jun 18, 2017.

1. A BONED

A BONED

Fellas,
    How do I remove the front pulley on my '39 flathead. What's that arrangement on the front? I've seen other double pulleys similar to mine without that hub arrangement installed in the front. What gives...?

Chris.

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG

2. The pulley has a straight bore with a single keyway. Normally not a very tight fit, but if it has been installed for a long time, it may require a puller to remove. You must rig up a puller which gets behind on of the pulleys, close to the hub. You will bend the pulleys if you grab them at the outer edge.
    The tapped holes in the front may allow you to use them with a steering wheel puller. It will depend on how that front plate is attached to the rest of the assembly. The holes are for mounting the fan. I assume you have a '39 Deluxe with the crank mounted fan.

3. Mac VP

Mac VP

That thing on the front of your 1942-48 dual pulley doesn't belong there. I'd guess that it's the rear flange from a crankshaft......cut off and somehow attached to your pulley. It even looks like a pilot bearing could be in the center.

Normally, the stock pulley slides right off to the front. It's keyed to the crankshaft. GENTLE taps from the rear would get it moving.

4. A BONED

A BONED

Thanks for the reply. The mill l have was a stationary commercial engine used as an emergency generator. Maybe that front arrangement on the pulley has something to do with that?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Mac VP

Mac VP

One detail I missed......those pulleys were held to the crankshaft by a large bolt that was accessed from the front of the pulley. That extra component appears to be blocking the opening for the bolt. You'll have to figure that assembly out before you try to tap the pulley off from behind.

6. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Almost looks like a piece of a flywheel that was turned down to fit. The two hole that are not threaded look like the location holes for the crankshaft pins.

7. Mac VP

Mac VP

That's what I was thinking.......I guess the aftermarket OEM generator mfr could have made this modification. Just not sure for what.