Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hillman Husky Drag Car Survivor "Pure Hell"(Really...another weird drag car?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuckles Garage, Feb 14, 2012.

1. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I've got that issue, somewhere.

Black Hillman panel, with a blown BBC. Owned and / or built by the brother of somebody at Pete 'n Jakes, IIRC.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats it, except it wasnt blown. When my wife gets home with our digital camera tonight, I'll post it and the earlier PHR feature from when the builder owned it, if I can find it. Dont think he built it, think he bought it built, added an ugly-assed wing to the roof, swapped the americans for centerlines, and painted it. In other words, made a hell of a mess...:eek::D

3. oldnosname

oldnosname

found this one a few weeks ago sold it to a mate of mine in the uk its leaves next week was very tempted to keep it but i already have way too many projects RAY in ca[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      68 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
  4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

there was one that used to raise hell cruising around the high school I went to back in 68-69.belived it to be a injected small block with wheelie bars ,big M/H on rear,never got close enough to check it out. same guy had a black 66 /67 2dr sedan novawith a small block badass.this was around the Long Beach area Lakewood high school.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres the article from Aug. '74 PHR. Didnt have time to dig up the Hot Rod article, it was from around '76-'77. and I am pretty sure its the same car, with a new owner and a couple updates. I think the car for sale at Stick City may actually have belonged to one of Mazoomas high-school buddies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  6. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

AWESOME! Thats what I'm talkin bout!

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Think this might be the same car that was for sale at Stick City? Maybe Mazooma will chime in here?

Attached Files:

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

By the time this car wound up in Hot Rod 3 years later, it had an aluminum wing on the roof, centerlines, and IIRC, green and silver seaweed flames. Even at the time, I looked at it and thought "Oh man, how could he DO that!"

9. oddrodd

oddrodd
    from Michigan

Looks Great! Here's a 58 Hillman Wagon turned Sedan Delivery ex-drag car my son and I are building. Not trying to steel the thread but looking for any previous drag info on this CA car. Eric's Hillman.jpg

10. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I'm building a 57 Husky. Here are some shots....It's getting a 392 Hemi and JAG IRS.

Got another one with a 302...that's my avatar picture.

Attached Files:

11. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

You don't want that 392. Total junk! I'll gladly dispose of it for you.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Warning: Some viewers may find the following offensive. Viewer discretion is advised...

Now that I look at these photos, I'm not sure this is the same car. The dash is different.

Attached Files:

13. This is resurrecting an old thread. That Hillman was built in the early 60's by my friend. It had a 4-71 blown 327 with a 3 speed trans and was yellow. Sometime after this was posted, the son of the builder was searching ebay and found this. He bought this and returned it to Kansas. He's got a good start on the restoration. The original drivetrain is still in his dad's shop. He intends to install that in the Hillman. His dad passed away a few years ago and didn't know the where abouts of the car.

14. How about "Pure Hell Man!"

15. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Good to see this thread resurrected! Keep us updated on progress. This is a neat old car, and a cool story to go with it.

16. Pure Hell is reserved for the one an only Rich G altered so that tune is over.
    Kenny should agree.
    "Hellman " is about right for that beast !

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

Is he documenting the resurrection anywhere on the net?

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

I sure would like to follow along with your build, are you documenting it anywhere?

Glenn

19. sololobo

sololobo

Awsome, love this ol stuff being found. thanx for sharing. ~sololobo~

20. AHotRod, to the best of my knowledge, no. I'll try to post some pics a little later in the year. He's busy and I'm old and slow. I have a few projects going to so it's difficult to find time to do this.

21. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

If you could have him email me some progress photos, I will put them up. What a cool experience. Good people too. [email protected]

22. Here's a pic at the drag strip in the 60's. He has alot of the metal work done on the restoration but it's not ready for paint yet. Fallon Pics 099 (Small).jpg

23. Kayce Hareland

Kayce Hareland

This was at my grandpas shop. I lived there for many years. Thank you for keeping the memories alive! RIP grandpa Harold love and miss you!

chryslerfan55 and chadwick_707 like this.
  24. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

So where's this car now? Any updates?

25. chadwick_707

chadwick_707

Used to climb all around that car!! Satvin it a few times and played like I was racing!! Lol! Mr. Hareland was my stepgranfather he was a good man and is deeply missed by many... I live right down the street from where this car rested. Its sad to see my grandfather's property now, they took his life's work and threw it away.

26. KP69

KP69
    from KANSAS

27. KP69

KP69
    from KANSAS

getting closer to done

cactus1 likes this.
  28. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Cool! It's great to see you putting this old race car back together. Keep us updated as you make progress.

29. KP69

KP69
    from KANSAS

K.D. Peters April 1963 Ulysses Kansas 55 hillman 283 chevy KD Peters April 1936.jpg

30. KP69

KP69
    from KANSAS

Sill original tires from 63 first rear end was olds but broke axles

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.