Register now to get rid of these ads!

highboy with running boards? pictures please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4oldfords, Sep 25, 2012.

1. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

I am not sure I have all the proper terminology down yet BUT I have tried search function with no luck. I am working on a 30 model a tudor. plan was to remove the fenders/aprons/running boards - highboy right? well now I am thinking about keeping just running boards with that small section of splash apron. I am looking for pictures of like minded model a cars.

any out there?

2. Sorry but that will just plain- look bad,.......don't go ahead with the plan....

3. carmuts

carmuts

You could do it but it will look silly enough you will take them off. Rod

4. I can't say that I've seen any, but that's probably the answer to your question right there...

5. I've seen it and it looks as bad as a mud fence!!!!

6. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

The original term - "highboy or lowboy" - (body channeled over the frame) originated from the removal of the running boards, splash aprons and fenders. If you plan to keep any part(s) of them; then it ain't a highboy anymore!

7. Cerberus

Cerberus

Couldn't resist. LOL

Attached Files:

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

No, don't do it - you'll remove the running boards straight away anyway.
    Oh, and please - don't post any pics!!!

9. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Here is Mark McCann A Roadster out of denver with aprons but no boards!!

Attached Files:

10. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

If you need the running boards to get into the car, you could look to make one of the running board mounts into a step using a repop rumble seat step, I put em on both speedsters my father and I made.

Not really sure how it would look with a stock body, (also not sure if you are talking about a 30 on a 30 chassis...)

Running board without fenders doesn't make much sense aesthetically.

Attached Files:

11. Common to leave the splash aprons on when running for speed in the old days, fenders and running boards come off without having to raise the body. Do a search for Model A Tudors, there's almost as many pictures of any and all combinations you can think of as there are negative comments on this board. :eek:)

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Do a search for Model A Tudors, there's almost as many pictures of any and all combinations you can think of as there are negative comments on this board. )

CAN'T be that many!

13. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Model A sedan highboys can (but not necessarily do) look a little ungainly if they aren't lowered quite a bit. Mine is pretty close to stock height in the rear and from certain angles looks goofy. (which is why I painted goofy graphic on the cowl.)

Point is.....It's not all that easy to make one look really good...I'd recommend not doing anything to make that challenge any more difficult.

In other words...either leave the fenders on or take them off, including the aprons.... No half measures.

14. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

It started with the thought that the aprons might keep it from looking like a 4x4 - once i thought about keeping the aprons (and i have seen that done quite a few time on here) I started thinking about keeping the running boards. i don't want the fenders on.

was just hoping for an idea of what it might look like... if anyone has a pic of one...guess not

15. carmuts

carmuts

The aprons look alright and may be the answer to how to hide the gas tanks on what I am preparing to build. Still playing with some ideas. Rod