Register now to get rid of these ads!

High School cars, who's got em'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

This thread is awesome. I still have the first car that I drove. I guess it was around 1990 when I was 16. I had a 66 Barracuda Formula S when I was 14. Worked on it a bit and eventually sold the car a year later because I couldn't get past the fact that I wanted a 68-69. After that my father bought me a 70 Javelin SST, 360, auto, fact air, full tint car. It is that banana color with a black c stripe. I put 2 1/4" exhaust on it. I loved that car. I raced anything It has been sitting at my father's for years. It now needs floor work and so other help. I have a 401 for it so hopefully I will get on it sometime.

The car was bittersweet though. To buy the car and because I was gettign my license, my father sold a 67 Tempest post car I was hoping to get. It was pretty much a drag car on the street...455 30 over, NOS, line lock, 3" exhaust. The car was so fucking badass. Bench seat. It was way radical for me though....Oh well. I guess you should be happy with what you have.

It is nice to see that I am not the only one who is a pack rat of sentimental stuff. It is hard to give stuff like that up because you always hear people searching for their car again.

Larry

2. Ramblur

Ramblur

Bought my 57 in 75,just turned 15. $450 was all I had so the $800
    57 convertable was not an option. Made the opening day at Quaker
    City Dragway the next year with new paint,ring&bearing rebuild of the
    solid lifter 327,and a 4 speed and scattershield to replace the 3sp.
    Was my daily cept for winter for almost 10 yrs. After a couple years
    in FL it was parked in favor of a 86 Buick Grand National that hauled
    ass AND had AC. 2006 the Buick was sold with 190,000 mi. on it and
    the 57 is pulled out of the barn with intentions to make the Hamb
    Drags. Didn't quite happen but was ready for a nostalgia race in Oct.
    Turbo 400 trans case cracked at the last minute so no go Oct.
    either. Picked up a new floorpan at the Turkey Run and have been
    drilling spotwelds and grinding since. If I stay on it I may still make
    the Hamb Drags 07.
    [​IMG]

Thirty years later... The more things change,the more they stay the same.

[​IMG]

3. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I still have mine, a 32 5W, bought in 61 when I was 16, drove it to my 40th reunion back in NE. Took my old sweetheart for a ride, bought it from her dad, had a great time. My son drove it to his prom in CT in 88. I still have fun with her.

Attached Files:

4. Did a lot of tire kicking before I bought the first one. 41 Ford coupe (engine smokes can't buy someone elses problems), 56 Pontiac 389 and 3X2 (Packard tranny hard to get parts for), 54 Victoria glass top (lady ran stop sign and banged the front end while on test drive).

Wound up trading in a Cushman Silver Eagle on a 56 Victoria. Ran hard thru HS. converted the Ford-o-matic to 3 spd OD - now we're moving.

Bought another 56 Vicky a couple of years back. still running a Y Block but 312 crank and .125 over with other goodies. The T5 really helps. Runs 14s and still gets 21 mpg on the big slab with the AC on.

Must have influenced our son, his first car (in Texas that is after 4-5 trucks) is a 1955 Bel Air.

Life is good.
    TC

5. Files were too big to attach pics. Too Bad.
    TC

6. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

I still have mine too. My parents bought it new and gave it to me on my 16th birthday. It only has 90k miles on it, but has been sitting for sell over 10 years. It is a 1977 International Scout Traveler 4x4. One day I might get it going again.

CN

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Still got some of it,working now on the rest!
    Back in 65 when I got a wife,we needed stuff to live ,so my high school 59-61, 28 "A" bucket rod was used to fill some gaps,I sold the body ,axles off,and put the V8 292 Y-block motor in our 57 ford wagon(the 6cly blow up the week before the wedding) Over the years I kept parts of y-block,shift nob(beer tap),tail light,frame parts,radiator cap(chrome winged woman) and a few other parts. I still have those and the wife,and the biggist part, builder"ME".
    After building many rods and race cars over the years,In 2006 I started buying some of the missing parts to build my high school sweethart rod again.
    So far it's shaping up nicely with help from friends and some web buys too.
    ***The one part of body I have not found yet is 28/9 "A"roadster rear quarters sec.,as you can see in old photo of my rod,I only need from door jam to just in front of rear wheel well/trunk opening,the roadster body I started with in 57 had been run over with a tractor across the rumble/trunk seat,so I cut that crushed part away. I could use some help finding this,dented rusted,cracked split is still fixable for me,can make patch panels,but don't wish to try making all the body beading around back cockpit upper lip.

Attached Files:

8. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Bought this in 1977, a year out of high school.

[​IMG]

This is what it looked like 2 months ago after being parked since I wrecked it in 1983.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To top it off, it was in the August '03 issue of VW Trends almost 20 years after it last spun a wheel.

9. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

Look at the Empi Steering wheel...What a time machine. I have a 67 vert decklid that is dying for that car. - Larry

10. shanesflames

shanesflames

IMG_0943.JPG Here's the car my old man helped me buy the last half of my seinor year..Still have it. and have put a 351w toploader and 15 " wheels..on it...Its still fun..64..Fairlane-500

11. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

This was my second high school car. The first was a 36 3-W Ford. I sold the 46 to have a flathead built by a Smokers founder Earnie Hashim.

Attached Files:

12. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

Still got my '57 chevy 2dr 2 post. Sis GAVE it to me in '71 when I was 15 because she HATED it!!! Drove it all thru high school, several engines and trans. Had several other "drivers" since and other "hot rods". Drove it to my 30 year class reunion with a nice new interior new rear bumpers and very shiny Centari Black paint that has been on there since '75. Me and the ol '57 are till death do us part.

13. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

I still have my first car, it was my mom's 65 skylark. My parents bought the car when it was about a year old with 8000 miles on it. I rode home from the hospital in it when I was born in 68. By 84 when I got my license the car had about 180000 miles and 5 or 6 coats of paint. Dad owned a body shop and mom liked the car so much that instead of buying a new car we just painted it a new color. We took every family vacation in that car and so many fishing trips (it launched the boat better than dads restored 55 ford truck) I can't even count. Dad only drove it to launch the boat or on snow days because it went better in the snow than anything else we owned. I have many many memories in that car from highschool and much before. My mom quit driving when the car became mine and I drove it until I got rear ended when I was 17. The car was worn out and has never been repaired from the accident or the ravages of miles and years. I have moved it too many times to count and I don't know if I will ever have the heart to fix it but I still can't get rid of it. Mom and Dad are both gone know and I miss them and that car alot. I have owned a couple more 65 skylarks since that one but its just not the same.

14. Saved all my paper route money, turned 16 found it on the internet. Loaded the trailer and set out to Michigan, of all places. GO BUCKS! - lil lo -

15. beauishere

beauishere

My dad helped me fix up a $500 '57 Bel Air when I was a junior at Kailua High School. Took it to LA for college. Still have it thirty years later. Still have my first work truck too , '56 F-100 big window.

We've restored the truck and have started on the Chevy. I'll probably sell them when I grow up.

16. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Attached Files:

17. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

PM Sent! :D

18. Wildfire

Wildfire

My 1970 Cutlass convertible is now owned by my brother - probably never get it back, I'd buy it if it came available, though. I graduated in 89, and it has been in the family since new.

19. Still have my '34 pickup, recently pulled it out of storage for a complete rebuild

20. My Uncle brought me out a running 1934 4-door sedan for my 16th birthday - 1975. He trailered it out from South Dakota to Los Angeles and surprised me. It wasn't a restored car, but wasn't butchered and had a running 59AB in it.

I about 3/4 restored it, built a 280+ cube flathead - drove it to highschool for 3 years. Then I had a chance to swap bodies for a 34 5-window coupe, so I did that. Built a blown flathead and had a bit of fun. Put it in storage for 25 years . . . started tearing it apart last year, building it once again.

I don't plan to ever sell this car . . . too much sentimental value I guess.

21. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

My 56 Chevy was my gift for HS graduation from my grandfather.

Here I am with the car a few years after I first got it (probably about 3 years later)

[​IMG]

And here I am with it last summer.
    [​IMG]

What I lost on top I gained round the middle.

Happy New Year everyone!

22. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I still have my 1966 Chevelle Malibu i bought in 1975. I graduated in 1977.Also still have the same gal i dated in High School also.

23. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

when i was 15 i started working on my 53 ford,but my dad wanted me to start with something that was already running/driving.so i got a 73 camaro.silver with black top.350 2br auto.rough but a good start .i did the normal things mags ,traction bars.put it in primer.cause the drivers door was red and the pass fender was blue.after the stock motor took a dump i built a 350 4bolt 30 over,461 heads.507-292 comp cam with a edlebrook tmi intake ,750 holley.2500 stall.after i took my dad for his first ride he made me park it until we put a rollbar in it.it wasnt fast by todays standards low13s high 12s (if it would hookup.) but fast for a kid...i bought a 65 chevy2 to put that motor in but never got around to it .i parked the camaro in my dads field and it has set there sense 90-91.my daughter has laid clam to it ,she wants to paint it blue ,so i have 9 years to get it going....

Attached Files:

24. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

An old buddy's highschool car was behind his dad's house when a junk car ordenance was passed. :mad: He had no where to put it so he gave it to me!!! :D He would crank it every now & then up untill about 4 years ago and it still turns over:) . In the process of going over everything & rebuilding or replacing what needs it.
    Any advice or links on building mutiple carb manifolds or split exhaust would be appricated. Oh yeah it's a '54 Pontiac Starchief with the straight eight 268ci motor & hydroglide trans.
    Any advice would be appricated.
    Hey, gotta keep the memorys alive & ain't no better way than redoing an old ride you actually grew up with!:cool:

Attached Files:

25. 52 Pickup

52 Pickup
    from Oakley, CA

Got my truck in my senior year, April of 68. It's a 52 Ford F1. It spent 10 years on blocks in my garage while lifes little nuances got in the way of fixing it up. In 1989 , 90 I transformed it into what it looks like now. Road rash proves I still drive it, mostly weekend pleasure drives now.

Attached Files:

26. tbird37821

tbird37821

this is a pic of me ( and we thought we was so cool......funny ) and my 55 chevy that i bought in 1975 when i was 17. i had a blast with the car . it was a 4 speed and many different engines. the pic was in the late 70s. i still have the car. it still has the munci 4 speed but is a big block car now. it's in the shop being redone by my son who is going to have it for the next go around.

Attached Files:

27. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have my 1971 Mustang fastback or "Sportsroof" as they called them. I'm the 2nd owner and bought it in 1978. It has been sitting for most of the last 10 years and I gave the wheels off it to my dad for his 64 Ranchero.

Funny that I found this post, last night I was thinking of getting some wheels and selling the thing...

28. duste01

duste01

I still have my first two cars, AND i'M NOT DONE WITH EITHER ONE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Class of '04 here ...

Senior year of high school was spent restoring my 1960 F100 with my dad ... stock restoration, 6 cyl. and all, but not too nice to drive (not even close :p). Finished it the night before graduation. Now I'm in college and the kustom bug has led me to make a few changes ... just finished a 292 Y-block swap, and lowering is next ... once I have the scratch.

[​IMG]
    High school ...

[​IMG]
    And now. Someday I'm gonna repaint it, but the body's far from straight, so it doesn't really warrant another attempt at high gloss. :eek:

30. tpw35

tpw35

Hey hemi rambler, I love the swiss cheese holes in the hood.