Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Hidden Agenda" Turbo Model A coupe rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100mph WHEELSPINNER, Mar 21, 2009.

1. brandon

brandon

whats uncle bernie think of this thing....:D

2. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Looks good Jake! Wish mine was that far along.

3. lorodz

lorodz

great looking build..keep up the good work

4. corsair

corsair

Very interesting project, any progress on the box around the turbo? Terribly curious how this is going to work out as far as thermal management. I would look at doing a double walled firewall between you and the turbo. Putting about a 1/4" of air between 2 pieces of metal would help alot. Air is a shockingly good insulator. You can double wall the downpipe for the same reason since wrap does rot out pipes.

Have you worked out where you are putting the air filter? I would NOT put it in the box with the turbo. It is going to be an unholy hell-storm of heat in there. I don't care what you are injecting to cool the charge, a couple hundred degrees difference in intake temps will make a big difference in power.

Just my $.02 Killer work so far!

5. gonmad

gonmad

I would suggest looking into the new MSD 6AL2 box. I got it this summer and it is awesome!! It is fully programmable with a laptop so you can build boost with timing about anywhere. Make your own curve! It helped my car build boost about twice as fast as before. It's like the 7 series digital without the data logging and it is made for the street.

Tires and wheels? Pie crust's with a set of ET's IMO.

I can't wait to see video of this thing!

6. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Uncle bernie feels like I am wasting my time on anything other than a 32.....
    Oh well. There are alot of perfect 32's. I am trying to build what I feel is the perfect model A.

7. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Thanks for the input. I am working on the turbo box as we speek.....I think you guys will be proud of it. Cant wait to show it off. It is more than double wall.

Good idea on the double wall down pipe.

I am planning on wrapping everything the first go round. If it works I am going to redo the exhaust in stainless.

The air cleaner will be away from the turbo. At first it will be under the dash with plans on ducting it under the drivers seat in the future.

8. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Hey 100mph... What are the specs on your turbocharger? Compressor & Turbine Wheel Size/Trim? Compressor & Turbine Housing A/R, etc.?[/QUOTE]

Turbo specs....... Let me know what you think.
    76mm compressor F1 68 turbine wheel .96 a/r turbine housing T4 vband discharge.

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Stout turbo setup. I doubt you'll have any lag... looks like you've done your homework. I can't wait to see a video of this thing!

10. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

I have did alot of homework on the whole build. I feel like there is alot more for me to learn. Rob @ modular turbo has been a great help. I would recommend him to anyone.

11. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Im hoping to have it dialed in by next years hamb drags......
    Should be a fun summer.

12. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Who has the fastest street driven (Drive everywhere not just locally) Hotrod on here???? Does anyone know what the fastest Street car that Was driven to the hamb drags was?
    I wish more people posted times with their cars. I love traditional cars but I cant get past the original point in a hotrod. Going fast.

13. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Here are some renderings of where I am going with the project.
    The most challenging part for me to make will be the rear roll pan. I feel that with a deuce frame this roll pan is needed to make the car seem finished from the side. I am looking for a clean non Kustom simple hotrod look. I am planning on a chrome trim piece around the 3 sides of the 1930 plate.

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think.

( the car is getting a louvered belly pan)

[​IMG]

I am running an electric fan but I am planning on an old looking shroud. that looks riveted together.

[​IMG]

This pic shows the paint scheme. I am planning on gloss black with a satin black cove. If not it will be gloss black with an off white or redish brown cove.

What Ya think???

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. gonmad

gonmad

Those are good renderings, but it looks awesome the way it is!

15. skwurl

skwurl

Thats what i was saying when I made the statement " It runs the car for a set amount of time before it shuts down.

As far as the size of the turbo I was referring to spool time. A larger turbo takes longer to spool. I have ran turbos on various cars. A two step will build boost but why bother if it spools at 1500 rpm. You really wouldnt gain much with the two step.

16. younggun13

younggun13

Speechless..Simply insane!! this is a great thread you MUST post a video once you get it dialed in:D

17. One of these might be handy to keep the turbo heat in check:

[​IMG]

18. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

That is a real nice piece. Where do you get something like that?

19. wsdad

wsdad

If you pull the air DOWN through the cowl vent you'll be fighting its natural tendency to rise. The duct will act like a chimney and try to suck air into the bottom and out the top. I'm sure you can get a fan big enough to overcome this but maybe you want to use it to your advantage instead of fighting it?

On the other hand, maybe it would be too hot to vent out the top - might burn people. Maybe it would be better to vent it out the bottom anyway.

Just some random thoughts before I go to bed...

I like the way you're hiding the turbo. Maybe you should name your car Ann Franke. :)

20. gonmad

gonmad

The turbo blanket can be bought at Turbonetics. I think I even saw them on Summits site. The company DEI makes lots of thermal wraps, they prolly got them too. Oh, and they do help, ugly but help!

21. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

thanks

22. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

does anyone have the three bolt adjuster plate that bolts to the mopar steering box that everyone uses for cowl steering. Just found a big crack in mine and dont want to weld it up if I don't have to?

23. man looks sweet,I like the carb hat in the oil bath idea...my mustang is turbocharged and for how hot that thing gets I don't know if I would want a turbo in the car with me even with the blanket...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  24. Turbo blanket will keep a lot more heat in the turbo, and with the smaller turbo you are using shouldn't be a problem to source one for decent money.

25. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

It will work. I wont stop till it does. Most people would just put it under the hood......Thats too easy.

26. mink

mink
    from CT

Whats the spec on rims and tires??

27. Once again I say I dig what your are doing. I think you can pull it off.

28. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

i personally didn't think you could but you're doing a great job of proving me wrong. keep on keepin' on.

29. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

It can be done...and has..can be made cleaner....did you talk to this builder to see how he dealt w/ the heat and moving air..I know you said you looked @ it..several ways to do it.........Have fun, Littleman

Pic from the Hamb classifieds
    [​IMG]