Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by The Flywheel, Sep 9, 2020.

1. The Flywheel

The Flywheel
    from Ohio

I'm new to this forum. I have been building Hot Rods and trucks for 38 years. I'm glad I found this forum. I was doing research for Ford 9" rear ends and it threw me on here. Good info. I'm currently rounding up some parts for my 1949 Plymouth project. I got a 5.7 fuel injected Hemi for this project. I want to install a Ford 9" in it also. It's going to be a build I've never done before. This is my first Plymouth build. I usually have Fords and Chevys. I had this opportunity fall my way and I'm doing it. And I found some really good parts for this.

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Welcome! Here is a little tip for you, this place is all about 1965 and before hot rods and customs. The newer engine is like a ugly girl friend, she may be the greatest thing ever, you just don't talk about her;)

3. The Flywheel

The Flywheel
    from Ohio

Buckeye Buick, Lol I didn't know. I was just rambling on about what I'm doing.
    This engine was something I just have.
    I wanted a 1950's Hemi but I couldn't find one at a very reasonable price. That kind of things are getting hard to find.
    All the old scrapyards and salvage yards are gone. The old guys either died or retired. It's not like it was in the early 80's. Then all the scrapyards nowa days are filled with these little fwd cars. What do you use them for?
    But I have all kinds of engines. Fords and Chevy small blocks. Things left over from circle track racing 20 years ago. I haven't built a decent Hot Rod in 20 years. Boy I had a rude awakening with finding parts.
    It's going to be a fun build.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  4. Welcome from Arkansas!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. I am just finishing my 50 Plymouth Deluxe. Just a couple of minor thigs and it should be back on the road next week. For now I am keeping it all stock as I run with a bunch of antique auto guys and do a lot of cruises with them. MY 46 Chevy Coupe go whacked in the rear a bit over a year ago and I plan to rebuild it starting next year. That one is my little hot rod and my avitar pic here shows the modified 6 cylinder engine in it.
    Here is a photo of my 50 Plymouth. Good luck with your project. Jimmie
    J&J two.jpg

6. The Flywheel

The Flywheel
    from Ohio

Jimmie, That is a cool ride! Mine is a 1949 Plymouth. I don't have a lot of the stock parts. I think my car was a parts car from someone elses build. When I first got the car it was just a frame and body. I am going to have to do the best I can with assembling it. Its going to be a lot of welding on the body. I have a parts car altho its very rusted. But it has a lot of the missing parts. I'm going to try to keep this build as nostalgic as I possibly can and stay with the budget. Lol And make it look good. Lets see how it goes!
    I'm still in the parts gathering mode. I have a few parts already. The big job is going to be cleaning everything up.
    Kevin

7. The Flywheel

The Flywheel
    from Ohio

When I was looking for parts for this build I was left behind I guess. All the old timey salvage yards are gone. I guess I thought it would never happen. I can name 5 of them right off the top of my head thats gone with time. There was one big yard about 10 miles from me. 1930's 40's and 50's cars. It was like going back in time. I went there a few years back and it was gone. Now all the small yards are gone too.
    So I have been buying parts and cars from individuals on the internet.
    I used to get parts from the auto parts store. They told me they don't have simple things like points and condenser for a Chevy. What?
    I wanted center bolts for a leaf spring.
    They told me to go to a spring shop.
    What?
    My how things have changed. I guess I been left behind in time.
    Kevin

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Good luck on the spring shop too. My go to spring guy died and now his place is a body shop.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi again. A couple of places I have bought parts for my Plymouth from are www.robertsautoparts.com and www.kanter.com . Both of these sources have a lot of items I needed. Even got a new front back carpet set for just a bit over $200 from Kanter. Next project will be an AC to cope with these Texas 100+ summer days and then redo the bumpers.
    The only thing I had problems finding are front brake drums. The 50's are 10" and rear drums are easy to buy but for front I have not found any. Parts car may be the way to find those and hopefully they would be good. Mine are ok for now but they are on their last turning and if this wears down I will have to find some. Plan on taking the 1950's Fulton #21 bumper hitch of my 46 Chevy and putting it on the Plymouth so I can pull my 4 x 7 teardrop camper trailer. It is all white so I plan to paint the sides Green to match the Plymouth and leave roof white. Jimmie

10. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Forgot to add to previous post that if you plan engine tranny update on your car that www.butchescoolstuff.com has engine tranny mounts and dropped crossmembers for this at reasonable prices. Also front & rear lowering kits. Jimmie