Register now to get rid of these ads!

HF vertical bandsaw advice!!??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Jan 16, 2012.

1. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Man that is way cooler looking than the one I found! And I may know where some plate is too.........Nice job!

2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

that is way cool man!!:)

3. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

If you buy anything from HF electrical spend the extra bucks for the extended warranty.
    If you use it much it will break. Got a whole pile of stuff including their portaband, drills, grinders, etc. And they changed their coupon policy so the good deals for disposable stuff is not as good as they used to be. Northern Industrial stuff seems to be a bit better made in the low bucks price range plus they have some good brand names as well.

4. charlieb66

charlieb66

Find a used wood band saw on CL or other site, around here they are cheap. Pick up a slightly used treadmill and take the motor and variable speed controller and mount on the saw. The motors are usually 1.5hp DC and easy to mount and wire. Have one on my bead roller with a foot switch.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the one I have. It has multiple pulleys so you can move the belt to a low enough speed to cut metal just fine. Not good quality but it's cheap and gets the job done. Hard to make a straight cut with the tiny table. The blade that comes with it is useless. Got a replacement bi-metal blade at Sears and that works fine. Blade still likes to jump off but it's not as bad with the Sears blade as it was with the original.

Bottom line: Don't buy one if you make your living in the shop. Buy one if you want a cheap home horizontal/vertical unit that you use a couple times a month.

If I could have found a used American multi-speed saw for $100 bucks more, I would have bought it. I needed one fast and HF is always open...

6. Crankhole

Crankhole

7. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Thanks for the complements.. post a pic if you guys make one... that swag one is where i got the idea for mine... cost about $8 dollars to make though... john

8. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

cuts like butter... i was able to cut all the way through no problem.. just stopped half way to take a picture!!

Attached Files: