Register now to get rid of these ads!

HF bead roller reinforcement?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bumpstick, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Dyce

Dyce

I just built a new frame for mine. I used the original shaft, blocks, and gears. I welded the bushing blocks inside the bottom tube. I run a bolt through the upper rear block so it pivits. The adjuster slides up and down, I made a sleeve inside of the tubing to guide it. The springs raise the upper shaft... I run a 1/8 hp dc gear motor. I have done beads in 16 ga. steel. Takes a few passes with 16ga.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I find using my dial indicater stand with a pointer helps me follow a line if a fence won't work.
    Jeff

2. fletcher

fletcher
    from Missouri

Most of the treadmills I've seen have computerized controllers that don't allow for much manual control of motor speed (plus, they ramp up slowly to allow the runner to build up 'speed' and don't stop immediately either, to keep from throwing the runner.) Motor and gearing would probably work nicely though.

I wonder how well an old sewing machine motor would work? Or for that matter, a power window motor? Those things are pretty torquey, slow enough, and can be controlled either by DC voltage control or an easy to build 555IC-based speed controller. Any thoughts?

3. Dyce

Dyce

I junked a treadmill out. I took one look at the motor and said f#$k that. The tag said it was a 90 volt 3000rpm motor. The 90 volt dc part is good but the reduction You need to run it on a bead roller would be 200 to 1. Mine turns 15 rpm and it is still a little fast.
    Jeff

4. Old thread but since it's bumped here is my HF bead roller.

Attached Files:

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i did a "tech" on these things a while back... link here

here is one pic of the finished roller

[​IMG]

6. Louie S.

Louie S.

Ditto! If I was going to do a HF one this is the shit!!

7. Dan

Dan

here is how we did ours, pretty much with ideas taken from here...the wheel is very helpful, makes it much easier to control...

[​IMG]

8. Tin Can

Tin Can

Since this thread has been bumped what size motor should I be looking for to be ideeal to drive a bead roller?

9. The Pro-Tools I used at Xtralow60's shop had a 1/8 HP motor, and 345-1 reduction. Hell, the whole kit is just 4 bills, better off just buying it and welding it up. Made in the USA, too. Looks like I'll be giving my HF roller to someone I don't like.
    http://www.pro-tools.com/m3.htm

10. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Inspired from a different post a while ago I just turned my HF bead roller into this a few weeks ago. Heavier the better.

[​IMG]

11. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

thats cool. hows it work?

12. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Let me dig between the seats of my car and see if I can scrounge up $495.
    I'll stick with the $100 HF roller and mod it....lol:D

13. The kit is $395, you weld the frame yourself in a few hours. By the time you get the $100 HF roller, steel to re-inforce it, a reversable motor, a gear reduction, foot switch, you get the idea. If you have all that stuff laying around, go for it.

14. Buff

Buff

15. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Dec 21,2007,The latest price from HF is $199.
    Realizing it's HF,how do their units hold up?
    The stiffening and stand would be a given.

16. Tin Can

Tin Can

Seen the same bead roller on e-bay for around 115 shipped to your door. My uncle has a HF bead roller and works good. Would work better with the stiffening

17. Just got my Pro-Tools bead roller u-weld-it kit. $400, rariable speed, reversable, all American made even the motor.
    [​IMG]
    Nicely machined parts.
    [​IMG]
    Heavy wall 2"x3" frame.
    [​IMG]
    USA made foot switch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gear reduction motor.
    [​IMG]

I'll post a thread while I assemble it.