Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hershey Swap Meet Atire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Sep 24, 2017.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ever wonder how that cap or T shirt effects how sales go at a swap meet? You know the Model A guy in the Model A Ford Restorers Club shirt is going to find every flaw in whatever he picks up and offer you less than half the asking price. The "Real Men Chop It" T shirt isn't going to get a better deal on a Coupe body a Restores is selling. Personally I don't care, hand me your money and take my parts. There must be some good stories related to this topic. Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

The only attire I pay any attention to is worn by females.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Interesting to people watch, and see the guy that looks like he just crawled out from under his project to the gal in high heels looking for who knows what. But, the guy in the car hat & t-shirt & flannel shirt carrying a bag for parts just blends in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I don't wear "hot rod" stuff to shows. Like to appear neutral. Just easier to communicate without pre judgement attitudes.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

@The37Kid, where's your booth ? I'm going Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

Buying, don't advertise your mark. Basically what Dino said above^^^.
    I wore a popular OT model shirt once. Suddenly every nut, bolt, hinge, spring, do-dad, & whatchamacallit, was exactly specific for that model & year. Rare & priced accordingly. :rolleyes:
    I rarely wear car related attire to swaps these days.

Frankie47 and Dino 64 like this.
  7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

DDDennys Handbag for car guys sense we are getting so fashionable:D
    upload_2017-9-24_11-19-55.jpeg

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm in C4J 41-42 right on the end of the row facing the food stand. Brookville Roadster is on the other end if you need a landmark. See you there. Bob

chryslerfan55 and Dino 64 like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Friend of mine always wore his old "Farmer Johns", said it was a bargaining chip.

10. Unless it's way over the top, I honestly couldn't tell you what anyone is wearing. Attitude and honesty go a lot farther in my experiences. The only time I might be clothes conscious is court rooms, weddings and funerals.;)

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always wear my "Whatever's fair" hat and a HAMB T-shirt. I think it sends subliminal messages to those I'm dealing with.
    *SHIT! I GAVE MY SECRET AWAY!*
    IMG_20170624_1333521.jpg

12. I see what your trying to say,even when I go looking at a old car for sale I avoid wearing hot rod t-shirts, I bought several parts from a model A restorer that refused to sell them to a friend of mine,he knew Doug was a hot rod guy and I bought Doug the parts and told him there are some old time restorers that would rather dig a hole and bury parts than sell them to a guy building a hot rod.

I will say that the scenario took place a long time ago but there are still a few of these hard nosed guys out there. HRP

13. I figure if I appear to be poor (which is pretty close to the truth) folks will feel sorry for me and cut me some slack on the price of a part.:D;)

14. ............................So I usually show up like my hero, Popcorn Sutton.:) 01-image (1) (1).jpg 01-image (1) (1).jpg

15. oldolds

oldolds

If a guy is wearing a Studebaker hat or shirt I try to point out the parts I have for Studes. Same for other makes. Hot rodder or restorer I make no distinction. When a guy walks up to my spot and asks if I have a part for hot rod parts while standing there with his hands on a set of aluminum flathead heads I just might say no. I kinda like a customer that has a clue what he wants.

The37Kid and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Don, the reality is that most people out looking for parts are on the poor side. The wealthy ones hire someone else to do the searching.;)

By the way.....did you get that problem squared away on the Escalade? I know how you hate putting miles on the Ferrari.;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  17. What you often need to wear at Hershey is your rain slickers.

18. ...........................................It's all good. Now if I could only get more than 12 miles per gallon with the Rolls I would be a happy pauper.;)

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:confused:

20. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg Lothiadon40 ,so I did see you at the mobtown greaseball ,didn't know that was you but walked right by you . Shucks maybe next time - seriously was looking for your 40 ? Maybe I was looking for the wrong car ?

21. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I had two guys get in a bidding war over a part I had for sale, the looser was dressed in designer jeans, a polo shirt and had a watch that looked like it cost or than the car I drove to the swap meet. The winning bidder had on his bib overalls and old cowboy boots with electrical tape on one, but when it came time to pay me he pulled out a roll of bills that could have bought most of the parts in the row.

Don't judge a book by its cover and sell to anyone paying cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. He rotates driving them every weekend. Takes a couple of months before he's been through them all.:);)

23. 5window

5window

That's the first thing I pack. Beyond that I wear what's comfortable-look cheap, don't stand out but I do act respectable and interested if I am.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. You are too funny...✌✌

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

So, you're keeping the '58 Buick? :confused: Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I try to wear a non car T-shirt and my faded old "Eastwood" cap.

27. I wear my "I'm with stupid' T-shirt. It's usually right.

28. I wear my HAMB hat with bibs...covers all the important bases.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not as bad as it used to be but in the 70's I learned not to wear hot rod shirts to swap meets If I wanted to buy parts from those who considered themselves to be restorers. There was a lot of animosity against building hot rods by a lot of people in those days. At some of the little local swap meets around here everyone knows everyone else anyhow so it doesn't matter all that much.

A big number of PNW guys who sold parts in the 70's, 80's or 90's will tell a story about either selling parts or a vehicle to or running into Harold Lemay at a PNW swap meet. Looked like any old fart walking around in his white coveralls with a shopping list except he had an assistant following him with a briefcase full of cash. The gent never gave anyone who didn't know who he was the impression he had a ton of money.

30. I'm a seller, usually, but not at Hershey. Too far for me.
    At swap meets I wear a T-shirt that's very general, not likely to offend, could be car related or southern rock (ZZTop, etc.). I never wear ball caps but I may wear a hat with a bit of character from time to time. I strive to appear helpful but not pushy and a mirror image of you. So if you come around poor mouthing to get a deal, I poor mouth right back. Everything I sell is a "good deal" or it wouldn't happen.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017