Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Henry Steel or not

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ford72, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Ford72

Ford72

I only paid $300 a couple of years ago.

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

My friend Dennis bought a bitchin chopped deuce 3 window that he wanted to build into a Bones style car. He had Andy's Restoration make and install a pair of rear quarters for it. Don't tell him it's not a Henry.

kidcampbell71 and big duece like this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

IMG_0613.JPG IMG_1445.JPG

4. Ford72

Ford72

Looks good

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. If its done right....who's gonna know?

6. Squablow

Squablow

Beat me to it, that was my first thought.

So, the quarters and rear of the roof are completely missing, is that correct?

7. 1ton

1ton

If you tell me that the car is all Henry steel that implies that the car is 100% original as built or patched somewhere with vintage factory made panels. All steel cars are awesome but, to me, can't qualify as factory original. My 31' model a pickup, at this point, is most definitely all Henry. The cab is missing all subrails and the lower 2 inches all the way around. When or if I ever get around installing all the aftermarket patch panels that I have, I can say that it is all steel but I feel that I would be bending the truth by saying it's all Henry.

8. Pics of said not repairable parts

Tman likes this.
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no such thing as a 100% original early Ford...and no one takes 100% Henry original literally.
    If one tire was changed, or the oil was changed, it's no longer 100%

Anyway, it's all just hot rod nomenclature. Nowadays you can't just call it a "steel 32" anymore...you need to note whether it started out as a Henry body (or some parts of a Henry body) or started life at Brookville.
    And an "all steel" 32 (or any pre '48) usually refers to it as having steel fenders, as opposed to fiberglass.

Chicster and loudbang like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd say you have an original Henry built Coupe with patch panels, larger than some other car builders, but still patch panels. Don't worry about them, just rebuild the body. Bob

big duece likes this.
  11. Ford72

Ford72

Okay thanks sounds good

12. 1ton

1ton

Lets put it this way. Is the dogshit in your yard all original Alpo?. It's been altered a little bit. May not be the same as a freshly opened bag. Might have a little grass mixed in. But never in all my born days have I heard a dad tell his kids to go out and pick up all the Alpo.

crazycasey likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

14. Ford72

Ford72

15. Totally gone compared to what , as in invisible or mangled ? Anyhow this is a pic of a five window that was here on the h.a.m.b. a few years ago. as others have asked, lets see your pics. Don,t be shy.

3.jpg 6.jpg

Drylake, Nailhead A-V8 and adam401 like this.
  16. more like steel by all the now forgotten folks who labored to make it what was and is.....good thing henry's name wasn't Neal..........Talking endlessly about real Neal Steel would probably would get strange , especially after a few shop beers.

17. redoxide

redoxide

Its like a janitors broom, Its only had 4 handles and 10 brush heads but its the best broom he ever owned :)

lippy and Budget36 like this.
  18. Henry with patch panels.

19. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

This is always an interesting question. I’m in the same boat. My 32 Tudor has a lot of “Henry” steel but also a lot of help from UPAC, howells and panels I built.

To me I feel there’s enough “Henry” steel to call it a real 32 Ford but maybe not to everyone.

Plus the way I see it, there’s something positive by saving this old tin and not throwing it in the scrap bin.

IMG_7566.JPG IMG_0053.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

^^^^^^^^Nice save!

triumph 1 and Mat Thrasher like this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Do you like it.....then it don’t matter

j3harleys likes this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I think the frame horn is good

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Actually what does the pink call it?

24. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

This thread demonstrates a clear lack of common sense. Repairing a body with a patch panel does not make it any less Henry. Hell, even changing out the decklid for a louvered Brookville doesn't make it less Henry. Conversely, if you were to order new sub rails, new doors, new quarters, new floor, new firewall, and a new decklid leaving only a minor substructure, then sure, it's not a Henry body anymore. Starting with a Henry cowl and building the rest of the body with Brookville panels also isn't a Henry body.

25. AULIZ

AULIZ

If You make own handmade sheetmetal panels and weld on and Your name is for example Jack -->
    then its Jack´s....

if over 50% original Ford body = Henry´s

Aulis

26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When anyone sees a hot rod cruising down the street, they do not say that the rear fender is not original nor do they care. The coolness of the hot rod itself is all that is necessary to the untrained eye. Even to the trained eye, who cares? If the design of the 32 three window is done well and not a rag tag of out of place parts, then the overall design is what will catch the eye of the other admirers. But, it something is put together in a poor choice of parts or build, people will notice and then there is some cause for doubt.

When anyone goes out for dinner, one just does not wear something out of the dirty clothes hamper or jeans with oil and grime on them. It is the same for hot rods. What ever is the build for a daily driver, that is what most people will see and admire, if it is done well. Not that hot rod guys/girls care about what others say about their lifestyle or choice of cars. But, it is a reflection on all of the work people have put into the hot rod/drag race world over time, that needs to be continued.

Jnaki

So, do not worry about if it is original Henry Metal. Most hot rods are not original. Even if you buy a top notch show quality Model A sedan, then with no other modifications, put in an SBC motor and trans, then, technically, it is not a stock Model A sedan. Where do the patch panels come from? Probably from a squashed 53 Chevy Sedan from a local wrecking yard, sent overseas to melt down into sheet metal pieces, to sell back to the owners of shops needing metal sheets for body work or panels. So, what goes around, comes around.

People will see what they want to see. What is underneath is for your eyes only and if done well, no one will notice or even question that fact. Except for the idea that you opened up a can of worms and your closest friends will now get on your case for using those panels to finish the hot rod. So, do you really need to worry about that simple fact?

Budget36 likes this.
  27. It's always been a point of amusement with me when a guy ask if the car is steel or glass and my reply has always been, " If you can't tell by looking and have to ask what does it matter?"

I'm not a hard core purist and at this point in time I own a steel car but that's not to say I won't have a glass car in the future. HRP

jim snow, nochop, big duece and 8 others like this.
  28. When the name Henry is added to Ford, that’s just the owners ego talking.

clem, redoxide and anthony myrick like this.
  29. My 63 short bus is 99% genuine Henry steel.
    It’s odd how ya never hear folks use that term unless it a 32. Maybe 33or 4
    Do Chevy guys ever say “genuine Louis steel and wood?
    I have some genuine Henry 32 hood latches. If I add those to a brookville body does it’s street creds go up?

32Dan and Maicobreako like this.
  30. reagen

reagen