Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi: water x-over w/head change and timing cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 15, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those of you who did a head change on an early 331 Chrysler, when you switched to 354 or 392 heads were you able to use a stock water cross over tube or were the holes way off? I really like the cast aluminum water crossover tube that Hot Hemi Heads sells and was thinking that my be an option instead of using a remote thermostat housing.

One other thing, if you have an early 331, what are you using for a timing cover? I was thinking about making the switch to a Chevy pump and correct diameter pulley using the cover that HHH sells that has the adapters built in. I know I have to switch to a snub nosed cam to run it so maybe I should run the Moon cover. Any other nastalgic looking covers available for early Hemis?

2. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Not many after market timing covers fit, if you want to get creative just trim the fuel pump area off a stock cover and weld new sheet metal in place, when you put the chevy adaptors on you use a short bbc pump and there is not much room under there for a timing cover, I guess you could use a long bbc pump and fit a lot more timing covers but you would need the extra room out front which is the main reason to change anyway.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the cover I was thinking of using
    http://www.hothemiheads.com/cam_shafts_timing/timing_cover_51-54.html
    [​IMG]
    Pretty simple. A little pricey, but simple.
    http://www.mooneyesusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1220
    Here's the Mooneyes one I was thinking of:

[​IMG]

Speedway sells one that will work with a BBC conversion kit:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/paging.yes/dept_id.400/display_id.5431/qx/Product.htm
    Price is reasonable, but I would still have to buy the adapter kit for $67 where the others are built in.

Here's the water crossover I was talking about (shown polished, I like the plain cast shown in their paper catalog):
    http://hothemiheads.com/water_pumps/crossover_cast_aluminum.html
    [​IMG]

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BTTT! Nobody has put 354 or 392 heads on a 331?? Undustrial heads don't count because they don't have the water outlets on the front. Normal 354 and 392 heads would be the question. I suspect the 392 heads would just be way off... but what about the 354 heads????

5. 4tford

4tford

I'm not sure but I think the crossover would be the right length on 392 heads hotheads could tell you for sure. They also have a crossover that uses braided hose and AN fittings so length would not be an issue. I used there timing cover and bbc water pump but you will need to run an electric fuel pump because there is no provision for a mechanical pump.

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I think the 354 heads would work - I say this because as I recall the 331/354 share the same DECK HEIGHT - which is why I am pretty darn sure the 392 will NOT work - different deck height.

As for timing covers you are ONLY limited to a few choices IF (big IF) you use the SHORT BBC water pump - if you opt to use a LONG BBC pump I believe you could use ANY of the old vintage cool covers - wieand, moon, thompson, cragar - just name a few. The 2 piece cragar is especially neat beacuse it'll allow you to swap cams without messing with the pan.

7. stank468

stank468

Actually, the crossover should fit the 331 w/either head. Chrysler designed the 392 head so that the intake manifold design (and the crossover ) would not have to be changed. So you can go with either the 354 or 392 head on the short deck 331. However, you can't put the short deck head on the tall (392) block without using spacers for the intake manifold and a different crossover... I would use the chevy pump if possible...cheap, available and reliable.....

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Yes, I agree that while Chrysler DID design the motors such that the intake and cross over would interchange I still don't believe you can intechange the heads and STILL use the water crossover - here's why. To be able to use the same INTAKE they SUNK down the mating surface on the '92 so that the intake ends up in teh same position relative to the rest of the motor. They sunk this surface down because the Deck Height was taller on the '92 motors. When using the short deck heads on a tall deck motor you are left with a mismatch - the simple answer was of course to use SPACERS. On teh other hand using TALL DECK HEADS on a short deck motor will place the intake mating surfaces CLOSER together than normal - won't work unless you have a 2 piece intake. Drag Star would work.

To allow the same water crossover to be used they ALSO shifted the height of the mounting boss on the cross over to make up for th edifference in deck height. It's HIGHER on the short deck head. So if you switch the heads around you run into the SAME problem you run into with the intake - only problem here is that SPACERS won't work - depending on which way you go (short deck block - long deck heads or vice versa) - you will shift the holes CLOSER or FARTHER apart.

If you are wanting to make up a nice custom crossover - this would be the perfect excuse!!!

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Now those are some good responses! Thanks your for replying gentlemen!

What's being said about the tall deck or 392 heads not working I believe is true also, but it sure would be nice to hear some measurements from someone who has done it.

I don't HAVE to use the water crossover. I'm still considering using the remote thermostat. My reasoning for using the cast crossover tube was mostly for the look and simplicity of the tube having everything combined with just three gaskets to worry about rather than 4 fittings and a gasket for the thermostat housing. I absolutely HATE braided hoses as well and I LOVE cast aluminum! So this is why I'm enquiring... Thanks for all the great input.

Good tip on the fuel pump BTW... something else I hadn't thought about. If I run electric it will have to be outside the tank and mounted on the frame or something.

10. stank468

stank468

Pulled out some old cast iron and did some measuring.. You're absolutely right. I stand corrected.. :eek:

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which part? All of it? Thanks for measuring!

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Okay Hamb'rs, regarding a Chrysler water crossover manifold, is this possible:

run 331/354 heads on a 392 block
    keep a stock-ish appearance by running a cast crossover, aluminum or iron is okay (no AN / braided line)
    maintain the stock generator mounting (this would be a bonus)

One would think that such a part would be available after 60 years of racers running desirable "triple nickel" heads on 392 blocks. But it seems that all the aftermarket Chrysler crossovers maintain the stock width.

The idea at the moment is taking a stock iron crossover, sectioning it, and widening it. Is there a better option out there? Thanks in advance.

13. All I know of,,,
    Use the Butt ugly hose crap nonsense that's commercially available. It's easy
    fab up your own from scratch.
    modify an existing one - aftermarket aluminum or cast original
    Make a pattern and have them cast

The current available crossover options suck unless you go original crossover on original engine.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

mgtstumpy, 554coupe and fauj like this.
  14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

What is the story on that pattern? Looks like just the ticket!

15. 554coupe

554coupe
    from Australia

Hi there . I'm Looking to buy one of these cast offset crossovers . have you got one laying about ? regards steve