Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech: Camshafts.. new? Regrind? solid or Hydraulic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 26, 2006.

1. drfreeze

drfreeze

345 desoto How about some pics if the turbo set-up?

2. DRFREEZE - That was then, this is now. Scrapped the EDIS 8, turbo idea and decided to go 6-71 on a "traditional" engine. I never got to the Turbo Stage, but now I'm committed to the 6-71/DeSoto Hemi build. I've got both (under the work bench), along with the front end/rear end/200-4R set-up for a 32. Will be picking up a frame from "Fast Times Rods" and putting together a roller when I get home in a few months. Been squirreling away parts all winter...

3. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Whats the hottest cam that can be run with this set up,minor valve train work possable,muncie,4x2 with 97s,10/1,stock heads,30 coupe,342 gear.
    Isky 280 worth a shit,i had a comp 292 in a sbc once and it ran good and sounded even better,seems to me every body you call wants to sell you some little 260 dur. cam

4. Well GUESS what I just scored...for $100, unused, NIB! 8 pairs of these...273-360 Mopar...:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  5. They built the custom rockers for my Donovan 417 heads - modified their NC programs, sent me a mock-up, the works. Gary at RAS is a great guy and lots of fun to talk to . . . great customer service. If he is backed up with work, it may take awhile, but in the end you'll be happy.

6. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

BTT,what cams are you guys running in 392s

7. I had Bullet racing cams make me a special flat tappet blower cam:

.550 net lift
    242 duration at .050
    Lobe centers of 110
    4 degrees advanced - at staight up install

There are so many different cams out there - the best bet is to talk to a few respected cam manufacturers and follow their recommendations. I may switch over to a roller once the motor fires - kind of depends how it runs and sounds.

8. 345 DeSoto,

Do you have a part number for these lifters? Are they hyd roller or solid roller lifters?
    also can you let us desoto guys know when you have dropped the lifters into the block aand what you have found?

Thanx

Rat

9. RAT - Sorry, I don't have a part number. They came in sealed plastic bags, but with out the original box. They are hydraulic rollers...left over from a long gone project. Yes, I will DEFINATELY let the DeSoto contingent know what the deal is on the fit. I'm in Florida now, and won't be back in New York State until the end of April...that's where the engine is...

10. Ok sounds great ....look forward to your input.

I like the idea of running a street freindly Hyd roller in my blown 330. Less steep lobes ramps, less stiffer springs, LESS internal friction, more area under the curve and MORE reliability.

FYI for the Desoto boys, the Comp Cams retro fit Hyd Roller lifter is Part number 8920-16for use in STD earlier 273, 318, 340 and 360 blocks - NOT the newer MAGNUM engines.

Can Chet Herbert grind me up a HYD roller cam from a billet?

If not who else can/might?

Rat

11. RAT - I'll give them a call today, and see what they say. However, it's "President's Day" today, and they may not be open. If not, I'll call tomorrow. Like I said before, I tried all over the planet to get a NEW grind on a NEW billet (NOT regrind on an old billet), and it would have cost me THOUSANDS...

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Have a few NOS Hemi cams but not sure of there specs

13. Dollars to donuts thay're 392 cams...

14. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

1 said 1958 on it so I guess it could be,,gotta bunch from an old speed shop though most tags have faded or gotten lost ,,kinda sucks ,,lol

15. 73RR

73RR

What do the cams look like ? pics ? 1958 could be Hemi, or 350, or 318...Are they new-unused or regrinds? Flat tappet or roller profiles?:eek: Don't tease us now...:D
    1. Use a wire wheel and clean off the backend of the stick, look for any markings.
    2. Can you physically compare to some known parts?
    3. If nothing shows on the end then start asking around to see if you can find someone nearby with a CamDoctor so you can check the profile after the application has been determined. (we have a CamDoctor but we're not exactly close...)

A stock B engine cam might 'suck', but a cast roller for a 392 is another story.
    You might have doorstops, or you might have something special. Check them out!

16. Just got off the phone with Donny Johanson at Chet Herbert Inland Empire http://www.chetherbert.com/contact/contact.html . He is able to grind steel billet roller cams for the low deck (276/291)and high deck (330/341/345) DeSotos at a VERY competative price. He HAS the steel billets. Next bit of news...the 273-360 LA roller lifters are a DROP-IN on ALL the DeSoto engines, with NO modifications necessary to the connecting link. Do you like apples? Well, how do you like THEM apples...:D
    <!-- / message -->

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  17. 345 - great info! I see a roller in my future. I'm still confused about the billet cam / bronze gear. Billet cam needs a bronze gear - yes or no.

18. DP....

A billet steel roller cam requires a bronze dist drive gear. However, some cam grinders can add a cast iron gear to a billet steel roller so that you can use the stock disty drive gear without the need to upgrade to a bronze one.

Bronze gears have a rep for galling over time, esp if heavy valvespring or oil pup pressures are in use. They can leave bronze particles in the oil with some combos.

Rat

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He'll also do them for 331, 354 and 392 motors. :cool:

20. Great news huh Scoot ?

Rat

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. David Walter

David Walter
    from Troy,Al

I built my 354 17 years ago and knowone had cam blanks, (or just about anything else)the machine shop I was using sent it to Lunoti in Memphis with specs from a freinds old Iski catalog, it has a good lope and makes good power, and has over 235,000 miles so far, so if you have a good used cam regrinding can be good.

23. ian

ian

This whole, Hemi Tech installation has proven to be a priceless library of usefull information to better our productivity as automotive hobbiests and most importantly, hot rodders.

Im currently building a 55' 331 and looking to go the all motor route. If I follow through and stick with the idea of staying all motor, Id really like to be able to go with a roller cam. The motor would be a street/strip application backed by a manual transmission in a model a platform. I've gone through this thread a few times, but would like to ask if a list of cam manufacturers who offer roller options could be made and listed? I wouldn't mind sourcing out the information but doing it all from an iPhone can prove to be a little more challenging than it should be. So solid or hydraulic, Id like to get the information and parts resources to get the ball rolling for my project. Lastly, if the cam must be a custom unit, then so be it. Just as long as a reputable source is capable of providing it. Thanks again to Scooter and all the contributors.

24. Chet Herbert Inland Empire
    15298 El Prado Road
    Chino, CA 91710
    Telephone: 909.393.4597
    Fax: 909.393.4267
    Business Hours:
    Monday-Friday 8:30AM-5:30PM PST
    Saturday 9AM-2PM PST

Chet Herbert Orange County
    2525 N.Grand Avenue Unit T
    Santa Ana, CA 92705
    Telephone: 714.289.1441
    Fax: 714.289.1551
    Business Hours:
    Monday-Friday 8:30AM-5:30PM PST

For Specific Questions, and Support Issues:
    Please contact us at 909.597.2310
    *Chet Herbert does not provide support via email, please use the above number if you have any questions

25. ian

ian

Will be in contact. Thanks.

26. 73RR

73RR

ian, any of the cam manufacturers can make a billet roller. The bigger question is whether or not they want to make one and at what price.
    You simply need to call your favorite cam company and ask the question.
    Also, you need to consider the lifter style and whether or not your cam company has 392 specific units or are you left to modify another Mopar part on your dime?? If you have any plans to race the engine then you should also consider a rev-kit, which, of course, no one makes.
    On occasion, I still find old cast core roller cams at swap meets but they are getting scarce and expensive. A billet cam does require using a bronze dist drive gear and it must be checked for wear and replaced as needed.
    Roller cams are trick. Roller cams make more HP than solid lifters, which make more HP than hydraulics. Roller cams require more parts to complete the package. Roller cams cost more money.

Gary

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have a Herbert Cams catalog from VERY recent (last year) sitting here somewhere. They offer a 392 roller cam as part of their product line. You should also check with Chris Nielson, of course.

Glad the info has helped you Ian! I thank everyone here who has helped pull the information together. People like you asking questions that haven't been asked yet, only brings answers, hopefully.

28. I've had a Crower roller in my 354 since the mid sixties and I can still buy lifters and pushrods for it from Crower. They'll grind me a new roller if I want one as well. I lost a couple of lobes due to too much valve spring pressure about 17 years ago and Crower welded the cam and reground the two repaired lobes for me. They rebuilt 14 of he lifters and replaced two.

The cam has over 233,000 miles on it now.

29. 73RR

73RR

desoto speaks to the quality of Crower Cams. I have used their 'stuff' for decades and have never had an issue.
    233,000 says alot about the quality of the cam and components, the soundness of the 354 and most important, the quality of the rebuild and assembly.

My only complaint with Crower was when they allowed Reid Oliver to retire...:eek:

30. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I beleive this is where HotHeads gets their cams done. A buddy of mine has dealt with HotHeads for parts and is less than happy. He has a '56 Dodge Hemi in his deuce and pretty much nothing they sell fits according to him. Since I'm the one that gets to machine his stuff (or just make a new one altogether) to fit, I'd say he's right on the money. For instance, the oil pump drive shaft on his Hemi engaged the distributer by less than 1/16" (.0625") and when he called, they told him that was enough, and no, they wouldn't take it back. I built a new one to the correct length, but what if Joe Average didn't notice this and the drive tang broke? It would stop oiling and grenade the motor, yet they didn't see a problem.