Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hemi oil question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hemi rodder, Nov 15, 2013.

1. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

i noticed that every day that i start my hemi that on my oil pressure gauge it takes more than a few seconds to build pressure, is there a way to keep oil from draining all back to the pan, my oil filter(napa1515) is pointing down and i think it is emptying out, is there a valve or a diferent filter i could use or install. what i don't like is to start cold i have to rev it on start-up to get it going with no oil pressure showing on my mecanical gauge.

Attached Files:

2. daliant

daliant

Try a napa 1806 filter, it's the same as the 1515 but it has a stand pipe built into it which prevents oil drain out from being upside down. The only drawback is that it's an expensive filter (like 20 bucks) but hemi's aren't cheap to rebuild either.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  3. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

thanks, i don't mind paying 30$ for a solution to my probleme, will check it out tomorrow:)

4. George

George

The NAPA 1515 is the WIX 51515 (as far as I know). I have the OEM up angle HH adaptor on my 331 & the Wix & I haven't noticed any delay in oil pressure.

5. I have had good results with the Motorcraft FL-1A. It seems to have a more effective check valve than others I have used.

6. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

pick-up a 1806 today, under 20$ and they had it in stock, car is in basement for the winter, will see how it helps in the spring when she comes out. i can see the tube inside the filter. thanks again

7. tig master

tig master
    from up north

A wix 51515 is what you have and it has an anti drainback valve in it.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Competitor.aspx?PartNo=51515

T

8. daliant

daliant

The 1515 filter doesn't have anything preventing the oil from draining out through the center hole, normally this isn't a problem but when the filter is mounted upside down the oil can drain out of them through the center hole. The 1806 filter has a built in stand pipe in addition to the anti drainback valve which prevents any of the oil from coming out of it, even when you take a used one off of an engine and turn it upside down the oil stays in them, you have to punch a hole in it to drain it.

9. George

George

I fired mine up today for the 1st time in a week, oil pressure came up immediatly. Maybe you have something else going on.

10. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

i have 70 psi all day while cruising, 40 psi at idle hot, just seems to drain over night.

11. Noland

Noland

I tend to crank my engine over with the ignition switch off until the oil pressure comes up, then I fire it up. But that trick oil filter could be a simple solution.

12. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech