Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi motors keep finding me!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickeyc, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

A couple of years ago I bought a 354 Chrysler Hemi motor from the Houston area. Very few guys in this area have any interest in these motors. Twice different friends knowing of my interest, alerted me to hemis sitting about. The first was a 331 Chrysler Marine factory 250 h.p. with solid lifters and two four barrel carbs. This motor was about 10 blocks from my house. I had to buy the entire boat to get it. The next motor a friend on a job told me about was a 58 Chrysler 392 Imperial motor that had been converted to marine use for flat bottom racing.
    This motor has a vintage Edelbrock x3 manifold set up with Stromberg
    large logo 97 carbs, and a roller cam with M/T valve covers. I had to travel 25 miles for this one..... So today acting on a tip from a friend I stopped to visit with a neighbor who recycles industrial items. He had
    recently picked up a 331 Chrysler industrial that was use to power
    a generator at the New Orleans Airport. This motor has an oil pump
    driven from the distributor for the speed governor system. It is complete
    with only the starter missing. It has valve covers with the Chrysler Industrial logo. These covers have the "bumps" found on adjustable lifter motors, but does not have adjustable lifters? The motor has a Stromberg
    "Airolite two barrel carb. I have seen this carb on 50's Buick's. The motor is very clean under the valve covers an seems to turn over Okay by hand
    by using the fan blade. I think it will run if I can get a starter matched up
    with the correct ring gear tooth count. Anyway I am now tripping on hemis (4) in my small shop! I have decided to sell a few of these things if I can find someone with interest. The interest in hemis seems to be much less than it was a couple of years ago? I will be posting a few photos on the Hamb. parts site for these motors as soon as I can get my son to help with the shots

2. Gerg

Gerg

well since you are tripping on them i will come and pick them up so i can trip on them instead i wouldn't want you to hurt yourself

3. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I have four of them stashed away myself, I've never ran across an industrial that had adjustable rockers.

4. i need a 354 block if that helps

5. mickeyc

mickeyc

My shop is small and they do take up a bit of room. I just could not let them lay? I think I may wind up on the mechanical hoarding show!

6. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

You got hemis, I got the flatheads....we all have our burdons to bear.....LOL Isnt it terrible! LOL Jim

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. mickeyc

mickeyc

This is true! A few weeks ago I went to check out a stash of Model A
    stuff. There was a couple of pickup trucks full of miscellaneous items. the price was low and they had go within a day. I just could not muster up the energy or think of a suitable storage space and had to let them pass.
    This really bugged me as I do have a Model A. Oh well...

8. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I've been keeping my eye out for cheap traditional engines. Picked up a y-block for $100 this week. Got a 291 hemi Desoto fire dome eight in the works. It's becoming an obsession, but it sure is fun!

9. mickeyc

mickeyc

It is indeed fun! I really admire the engineering that is displayed in the vintage devices I encounter on these motors. The governor on the hemi is a masterpiece in mechanical engineering with finite adjustment and no electronics at all.

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I am having the same problem with Nailheads. I'm up to 8 now, and 7 SP400 trannys. Its an obsession.

11. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I've got to hide my 291 cause I told the wife when I got the 354, I was going to sell it, and actually make a profit, hahah. but my son is going to need a car in a few years and loves working with me when he can, so do the math.

I guess I can sell the original 4 barrell intake to re-coup some of the 354 cost, lol

12. dmikulec

dmikulec

Wouldn't mind having a hemi for my '62 Imperial! :cool:

13. George

George

DeSoto 4 bl intakes have come down massivly since the recession started. Before they were selling in the 7-800 range & 2X4 even higher. Have seen a few 4 bl intakes for around 200 or so.

14. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I was told of an estate sale that had a few 392'S.
    When I went to look at them, they were scatered all over the place.
    I asked for a price on every hemi there, not knowing how many there were.

I ended up with 5, 392's, 1, 354 and a Dodge Hemi. Not a bad day, but it was a little tough on my 3/4 ton truck.

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. I'm up to 3 Hemi's now and working on number 4! .... I've got 2 - 354's and a 392 ... both 354's have the adjustable rockers one is an industrial motor the other is out of a school bus) Going to look at a 56 ford F-600 4x4 later this week with a running 354 installed in it. Don't need it but why not?? lol Also have a 400 Mopar big block, the flat head 6 out of my 49 plymouth as well as a 292 y-block with 312 heads. YES its an addiction and I love it! I'm all out of room but willing to start stacking the hemi's to make room for yours ;)

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Just saw one on eBay go for $227.50 . But, I don't have the engine in hand yet, so I couldn't pull the trigger.

17. Restorex

Restorex

This Hemi engine collecting is addicting. As of now, I have 3 complete engines sitting on rolling cradles in the shed, a '52 Desoto with complete drivetrain sitting out back and a '56 Fargo graing truck with a running 331. Next week going to pick up another 354 with trans attached. After that, gotta go pull another 354 out of a '58 Fargo garbage truck.Also collect the valve/ rocker covers. I have about 14 sets of covers hanging on the garage wall. I've got scrap guys all over the country watching for old Hemi's. Addicting, addicting, addicting...

18. I keep finding 1931 Dodge three window coupes, but no HEMIs to put in them.....

19. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I only have 2 so far. The one on your left is my spare. The one at the machine shop is going in my 31 Dodge coupe.

Attached Files:

afaulk likes this.
  20. Hemis are funny like that.
    Let one in and it starts.

Blown 421 (354) a fresh 392, 331 and industrial 331. Its nuts !!!!

Then there's all the extra parts, extra blowers, 2x4 manifolds, valve covers, 700 lb bell housings, heads adjustable rockers.

Its only going to get worse fella.

21. 73RR

73RR

...we can fix that....

22. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

I am up to six of them

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

:eek: good lord !

24. ol fueler

ol fueler

I have 5 --more or less --- 3 354's -2 392's plus a few ewtra heads. However Due to some mishaps with a machine shop ,I am short a few cranks, 1 392 and 2 354's, and a set of main caps for a 354. If any of you other hevy-hemiweights have a spare crank or two or caps I would love to hear from you.
    Thanks , Dave

25. Texas Mopars

Texas Mopars
    from Texas

I have 4 main caps that I'm pretty sure are from a 331. I can't remember which numbers they are but will dig out and take pics if you think they would help you.

Belden

26. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add another 1/2 a hemi and a 315 dodge hemi on the way soon.

Attached Files:

27. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

Fort Walton has that many DeSoto engines laying around?!!

28. Budget36

Budget36

Was at my neighbors house yesterday, big Hemi collector...hoarder of many other things as well....so walking through the "path", outside, I stumbled across a pair of Hemi heads....mercy...he has so much, just left'em outside.

29. George

George

"Seen" in various sources!