Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi in a 55-59 chev pickup ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by entourageguy, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I've got a line on a 392 industrial hemi. The guy says he has known it running for 20 years as a water pump. Asking $1000 which I know is a good price.
    Has anyone put one of these in a 55-59 chev pickup?
    Lots of info on here about the engine but just curious as to fitment and clearance issues.

2. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

plenty of room for a bbc with a blower and still close the hood.
    i can't see where there would be a clearance issue.

though, i would do a little research to make sure the industrial hemi isn't a 140hp dog

3. 41hemi

41hemi

Just to give you a heads up there NEVER was an industrial 392 made. Plenty of 331 and 354 engines were industrial. Still a good engine for your truck:D:D

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It will look good, but if you really want to make some power, I'd run a big Chevy. The Industrials were only built in low-deck versions, 331 and 354. There are some issues with sodium-filled valves and accessory drives, but they can be overcome - for a price. :) Still, $1000 for any running Chrysler Hemi is a good deal, I would buy it.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe on a 55-57, but on the 58-59 you have to cut a hole. The hood center drops down a bit on these later ones. btdt, have the hood with the hole in it to prove it

6. Yea I'm finding that out with some reserch on the web. I'm waiting to hear back on the serial # to figure out what he really has.

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

a guy in Spokane many years back (mid-60s) had a 354 in a 56 GMC pickup. he ran a B&M hydrostick behind it. sure looked trick sitting in there.