Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI ID please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Jan 8, 2011.

1. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Just got these pics from a non car guy buddy, who thought I'd be interested :D:eek:
    Car is a 50's imperial and has what looks to be a 392, but I'm not an expert. Thought I could get an assist from HAMB land.

I have a shot at getting the engine and trans very very dirt cheap because they guy is buying the car for scrap, (Entire pass side is creamed) :rolleyes:

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

It looks like a 392. I look at the distance from the valve cover surface to the water outlet. if its around a 1/2 inch or so they are 392 heads and since the motor looks stock I would bet its all 392.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Today is your lucky day!! :)

4. 55chevr

55chevr

not sure from the photo ... valve covers are "Chrysler Firepower" ... my '57 Imperial 392 has "Imperial" valve covers.

5. Hemi8me

Hemi8me

Just buy it and fast!!!!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. 41hemi

41hemi

The water pump is a 1955-1956 one-piece pump and water crossover. Car is either a 55-56. Engine should be a 331 if it's a 55 and a 354 if it's a 1956.

7. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I wish I had more info to share, but the car is in a neighboring state and these photos are all he gave me.... If he gets the car the engine and transmission will be mine, it's so much of a steal I kinda feel bad :) If things work out, he gets the car I get the running gear THEN it will be my lucky day!

Thanks for the info so far guys!

8. 41hemi

41hemi

Ask the guy if the car has a pushbutton shifter or a lever shifter sticking out of the dash. Pushbutton is 1956 and the lever would be 1955.

9. Yeah - what 41 said. I can't tell from the pictures, but it's either a 55 or 56 Imperial. If it's a 55, you have a 331 in it... if it's a 56, you have a 354. It's definitely not a 392, but if you get it for scrap price, JUMP ON IT!!! Those early Hemi blocks are worth some shekels, even in "rebuild me" shape.

10. OK... from the grille, it's tough to tell, but when I went back and looked at the trim, I'm almost sure it's a '55 (notched beltline under the B pillar is the hint... '56 was straight, no notch). That would mean you have a 331 under that hood. Snap it up!

11. R Pope

R Pope

It's a '55 Imperial. 331, 250 horsepower, probably a 2 speed Powerflite trans.
    But what the heck, it's a Hemi! Grab it!!!!

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

its a hemi and you can have it cheap ! i would only need to hear this once and id be getting a truck my tools and my engine crane

13. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

That motor is a 392, and the fact that its in in earlier Imperial with the Chrysler firepower valve covers tells me it was a transplant. The Water cross over goes from head to head and that was only on the 354 and 392's. fiveohnick is right if you look at the distance between the water crossover and the valve cover, that is a 392 Head. Check out earlyhemiengineparts.com and it gives you some good info on ID ing a Hemi.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  14. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

WRONG!!!! The first Chrysler hemi with a water crossover was the '55 331. Also Chrysler didn't come out with the "Imperial" valve covers till '57. Do a little research before spouting crap information next time.

One piece water pump, small base WCFB, '55 Imperial.... definitely a 331. ID number should start with CE55-XXXX. It should also have the two speed Powerflight trans (pretty good boat anchor) but don't let that discourage you. Its still a great engine.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  15. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Lever shifter sticking out of the dash, he said it also has power windows. But I assume all imperials had power windows.

The reason I though 354, 392 was the water crossover and that it has a valley pan. I thought the 331 had no water crossover, and the intake was essentially the valley pan.

**Edit**, now that I see what Demon seed above me posted I stand corrected!

Either way, I'm getting it. Some of you may know I'm building a 33 Plymouth coupe and this would be the perfect engine. (Better than the Buick mill that's mocked up) Oh, and all he wants for the engine and transmission is a..... Get this..... A model A frame!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

He has to jump through some hoops to get the car, but when (and if) he does, the powertrain is mine. I couldn't talk to myself ever again if I passed up on this deal. Even if I didn't have a car to put it in!

16. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Actually all Chrysler, Dodge, and DeSoto early hemis had valley covers. The 51- '54 331's had a "wet" intake with the thermostat housing in the manifold and no water crossover. That's probably what was throwing you off. Chrysler went to the water crossover when they revised the cooling passages in the heads in '55.

17. George

George

Looks like the one piece W/P that was on 331 & 354. All of them have an intake & valley pan. The key is the use code on a flat in front of the valley pan.

18. keep the hemi.....and part it out....you'll make alot more than scap....I could use the front grill....

19. johnl

johnl

I'm getting in late on this one but here is what I can offer. The car is definatlely a 1955 Imperial which would be 6 volt positive ground. Power windows, seat, etc were standard on these cars.

The engine would be 331 Hemi at 250hp. This was the final year of the 331 in a Hemi form. Chrysler FirePower valve covers were used from 1951 through 1957. On 1958 Imperials the valve cover stated "IMPERIAL".

The water pump would work on 1955 & 1956 and the one shown is set up for factory A/C. Note the two bolts on top wher the compressor would mount.

These cars were very unique in that it was the only year that Chrysler used these "unique" front doors which didn't interchange with any other product they made. They were longer and the roof was as well, but only on the Imperial sedan. The 1955 Imperial Newport (2 door hardtop) picked up the extra wheel base behind the rear window before the trunk lid. This was the only year that each wheel opening was a full radius. No bumper bolts are visible and all bumper guards are finished on the back side.

I could go on and on about these cars but I think you get the idea. Oh, and yes I own a 1955 Imperial Newport. Should you wish to see it go to YouTube and type "John Lazenby".

20. 117harv

117harv

I have a short bell housing 331, the heads have no water outlets on the front. It has a valley pan, and as far as i know it's all origonal.

21. Weasel

Weasel

Wouldn't the heads be the highly prized triple 'nickel' - the ones Mike Mcleod patterned ed the Hot Heads aluminum heads after?

22. Weasel

Weasel

And John is being modest;). He is a respected and long standing letter car collector of note. There - that's blown your cover....:D

23. johnl

johnl

From what you state below you have a very late 1953 or 1954 331. These were the beginnings of the short bell housing and the last of the cylinder heads with no water outlets.

24. I see literally a couple grand worth of sellable parts on that car. Smashed passenger side or not. Just that wheel arch trim, a couple of those should bring close to what the car would over the scale all by themselves.

As for the motor, who cares what it is, it's a Hemi, once you have it they're pretty easy to ID by the number stamped in the top front of the block ahead of the valley pan.

25. krooser

krooser

yep...

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

27. 73RR

73RR

A little clarification... Mike designed and cast the aluminum heads under the "Hot Heads" brand name. Bob Walker later on bought the package from Mike and started using the 'Hot Heads' moniker.

There are two heads in 1955 with three '5's' in the casting number:
    http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=240

Highly prized? Some folks will pay extra but what are they really getting besides some bragging rights? IMO nothing.
    Unless you are working on an EMC package there is no discernable difference (and then it will be marginal) and a street car will never see a benefit over one of the other castings.
    Quit chasing the pot-o-gold under the rainbow.

28. krooser

krooser

I'm tellin' ya those 555 heads will give your Hemi another 500 HP....

[​IMG]

That said I used 555's on my project!