Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi Guys aluminum rod choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FEDER, Sep 15, 2011.

1. FEDER

FEDER

Well its finally come time to build one of the hemis My Son and I have had for setting for years. We are putting together a Iron Block (57 A-1) and Iron head (56 354) Motor.
    Hampton has our 671 blower now and getting it ready. We plan on building a Blown alcohol
    motor at around 900 HP. We have an old Manning Brady tall blower manifold and 2 MB oil pumps. We will use a Hilborn 4 hole hat injector. Got a crane roller cam and lifters 700-705
    dont member right now the duration @ 50. We also have 2 sets of adjustable rockers one from a chrysler 300 and one marine. We will use aluminum 4 bolt main caps on the block.
    We will run a stock 92 crank with a 030 overbore and Arias 10.5 to 1 pistons.
    Now for the rods. They will be 7.300 long with the big end set for 440 bearing inserts.
    Im looking at BME - Brooks or R & R. Im leaning towards the R&R. There cold forging and
    and conicle seration at the main caps seems like a very good product.
    Any of You Guys use them? got any feedback on em?

Thanks all FEDER

2. I would be fearful of using Chrysler rockers over .630 lift. I would step up to Titan or T & D adjustable rockers if you are dead set on using that cam. The OEM adjusters take a narrow tip as and with the aftermarket rockers you can use the 426 style push rods with the larger cup and ball.

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I am running a set of BME aluminum rods in DeathsDoorStep....Have had no issues yet, 392 short block w/ the 354 heads stock stroke...I have never heard of the R&R rods, I checked out their website...looks like nice stuff..........Littleman

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have run BME and thought they looked to be very well finished. Worked fine for 5 years at El Mirage and Bonneville in a heavy car. WTS 72 Vega

5. dbradley

dbradley

Blown, alcohol and 10.5:1? Seems like a LOT of compression for a blown motor........

6. aircoup

aircoup

eeeewwwwwww'''

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Brooks is no longer making rods, BME rods are good but very pricey, Customer bought a set of GRP and 2 failed on 3rd pass on alc. Howards Rods(Los Angeles Ca.) makes a nice peice

8. on alky you can run alot more compression built a motor with 13-1 and 30% overdrive no problem.

9. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Groden also manufactures good aluminum rods.

10. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Ive done 11 to 1, never heard any one at 13 to 1 but thats awesome....
    gotta love alky!!

11. michev

michev

GRP is a very good choice followed by BME's.

12. FEDER

FEDER

Thanks for the input Guys. I currently run a set of BMEs in My injected 440 Mopar
    Been in for 6 yrs with no issues at all. I'm very confident with there product.
    Was lookin for input on the R&Rs. The cold forge and conicle seration looks like the best of both worlds.
    As for the rockers, We may just sell the stockers and go with Rocker Arm Specialties.
    Gary there has treated us REAL well on past sets weve purchased for a 440 Mopar-427 Ford FE and a Cadillac 500, there products are top notch.
    Thanks again FEDER

13. I've got an unstripped 6/71 11% overdriven on alcohol with 10.25:1. Runs good.

I've got a set of Fowler billet aluminum BBC rods in mine.

14. FEDER

FEDER

Kerry Having BBC rods You got a stroker? How did ya do that with a billet crank
    Please lets here some more FED

15. Call Jeff Fowler at Fowler Engines in Columbus, OH - he'll make you a really nice set of billet ones . . . any way you want. He builds a ton of blown alcohol engines - really knows his stuff and you'll get the real truth about what you want/need to run.

614-258-2926

Tell him Hays sent yah!

16. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

my buddy uses GRP in his alky dragster

17. FEDER

FEDER

Thanks Hays I will give Him a call and bend His ear. My R&D has always been
    RESEARCH AND DUPLICATE

FED

18. I just had the rod journals turned to stoc BBC size on the stock centerline. The rods I got (gently used) for my 354 were .003 longer than the stock 354. I could have made it a stroker by off setting the centerline but I was reusing some forged pistons based on the stock throw.

19. Not a problem! I'm heading over there in about a hour to pickup the FlatCad engine parts for our blown flathead Cadillac Bonneville motor - will let him know that you're headed his way. He also did all the work (and some of it not so easy!) on putting my 417 Donovan heads on my 392 - so they definitely know their stuff. If I can ever help you, let me know . . . am big into 92' crap.

B&S