Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HEMI GURUS - DESOTO INTAKE ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Aug 10, 2021.

1. These are apparently pretty rare, and before I get crazy looking for one, I need to know if they're for lo-deck or hi-deck blocks.
    Thanks!

IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG

2. Beautiful intake pic,,,I’m not certain if it’s low deck or high deck .

My avatar pic is a factory iron intake from my engine,,,,,mine is a low deck .
    To be honest,,,,the bolt hole bosses are very close to the thermostat mount on that Edelbrock .
    It could be a low deck,,,,I have no numbers for it though .
    Do you have the intake in hand,,,I have measurements from mine across the mounting surface if it will help ?

Tommy

3. After looking further,,,I found a little more information .
    On Victory page ,,,it lists old obsolete Edelbrock numbers .
    The low deck Desoto is listed as DS410,,,,,it didn’t have a tall deck Desoto listed,,,,so maybe the DS495 is for a 330 ?
    Good luck,,,,anything for these engines are hard to find .
    I still believe a fair amount of parts are out there .
    It’s just communication with the people ,,,with it laying on a shelf for 50 years ,,,,is hard to get to ,,,LoL .

Tommy

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. Thanks, Tommy!
    Unfortunately it is a dream piece at this point.
    I have a stock 4 bbl intake now, and I read somewhere that the Edelbrock flows the same or close.
    Probably an expensive do-dad if I ever run across one.
    20210807_175544.jpg

Anybody else care to jump in?

5. Mr. Google turned up a couple of interest.

This one sold on here in 2017.
    D36DF8B0-CCD3-45C2-A642-02BC94507AA8.jpeg

And the on website “The Forward Look”, back in 2010, someone called Edelbrock and was told that it was for 52-54 years. So I guess that makes it a low deck.

I know HHH makes one. @Bandit Billy has one on his truck.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Bandit Billy and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. To be honest,,,,,I think the intake from Hot Heads is a better flowing piece than the old Edelbrock ?
    The HH intake is about an 1 1/2 taller and has better ports,,,,and accepts a later model carb base .

Bandit Billy always has cool looking toys,,,,doesn’t he !
    Lol .

Tommy

Deuces and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. True!
    I just like the “look” of the vintage Edelbrock piece.
    Kind of like the rare Flathead, Olds or Caddy part.
    I do have a factory 2 x 4 intake and carbs if this falls through.

kidcampbell71 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had a 330 Desoto out in the shed for at least 32 years and maybe longer and finally figured out that the 330 is a raised deck. DeSoto 276, 291, 330, 341 & 345 Hemi Motors (victorylibrary.com)
    Low deck being the 51/55 276 or 291.
    I can't find a thing on how to tell the difference on an intake sitting out on the bench though.
    Right now I can't even get into the shed the parts are in to measure the intake.

Bandit Billy and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a shot of my Hot Head intake. I was not sure about the crispness of the runners at first, looked very new. After sanding the casting, de logo and rounding the edges, painting it black and having Crap all over it, it doesn’t look so bad:cool:
    upload_2021-8-10_18-48-58.jpeg :rolleyes:
    if I was running this mill in a hood less roadster I’m not sure if I’d go this route, perhaps the Hot Heads new blower manifold would be a better choice then.

hotrodA likes this.
  10. Looking good there, BB!
    Are those valve cover breathers HHH with the PCV in one?

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are from Hot Heads and are offenhauser breathers. My PCV is in the rear of the valley pan I had chromed (which you cant see so that was wasted dollars).

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  12. You’re right Billy ,
    The Vintage V8 manifolds lines on the port runners are too crisp shall we say .
    A little massaging and radius added on the edge is better .
    I am very glad Hot Heads sells it though,,,,,,I just wish it had the Hot Heads script on it .
    If it looked old school and had their name on it,,,,I’m sure it would sell even more .

Tommy

13. Besty34

Besty34

I would love to replace my factory dual quad manifold for Ali one, I can't believe nobody ever made a decent inlet for the rb Desoto engine back in the day, I have had several Hemi's over the years and found that the 330 - 345 is a great hot rod power plant

kidcampbell71 likes this.