Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods hemi Boys motor question ....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by putz, Dec 13, 2019.

1. putz

putz
    from wisc.

have a 1956 hemi came out of stock truck ,is there difference between auto or truck motors ?

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Chrysler or dodge based?

3. town sedan

town sedan

A 315 Dodge? A 354 Chrysler? You need the stamped code on the engine to identify it. If I'm remembering right it's on the front portion of the block in front of the valley pan. Others with a better memory will chime in.
    -Dave

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 331 (Chrysler) out of a '56 Dodge dump truck. The timing cover is different, as well as the heads and intake manifold. The heads have sodium-filled valves and larger heat riser openings, while the intake (mine is for a 2 BBL carb) has matching openings. Mine also has the "4-bolt" exhaust manifolds (a plus) and the oil filter is different. It appears mine had a remote filter that had been removed, which I replaced with a standard car filter to get it operational. I have a car timing cover and 4BBL manifold I plan on using. (I have purchased block off plates from TR Water for the heads.)

I have no information on the Dodge-sourced engines.

loudbang and LOU WELLS like this.

5. The numbers needed are in front of the top valley pan behind the water pump on the drivers side...pictures always help.....

town sedan and loudbang like this.
  6. deucemac

deucemac

Besides what has already been mentioned, the timing cover is flared at the bottom to cover to water holes. I used a Hot hemi heads cover for the early 331 block. The crankshaft takes a larger ball bearing pilot bearing. The camshaft runs backwards and is a direct gear to gear drive. I put passenger car heads on mine because of the expense of converting the truck heads over ( special valve guides to replace the enormous sodium stemmed truck valves and less breathing ability) I believe the pan wa odd too. Once the timing cover is off, a modified harmonic balancer from a 360 bolts right on. There might be other differences but they escape me right now.

loudbang and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

As for the harmonic damper- balancer(whatever). I would not use a junk yard piece as the rubber ring tends to deteriorate. Rockauto SKP SK594021 $50.00. Use a stepped key available from T. R. Waters, 73RR or maybe Hotheads. You'll need to worry about the timing marks.
    Tex Smith's book by Ron Ceridono is a good investment.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Chrysler (Dodge?) truck heads are quite different from passenger car heads. They have sodium filled exhaust valve stems and don't have exhaust intake heat X/over. They have taller X/over ports and heat with water. This is actually a benefit for race conversion since the two inner exhaust ports rent siamezed. Big valves and big ports. If using with passenger type manifold need to braze small pieces of steel in top of X[over, new valve guides for exhaust. Finally they don't have the passenger thermostat X/over, thermostat is in the intake manifold. Otherwise I really like those heads.

IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0806.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  9. sunbeam

sunbeam

One thing about a Hemi spark plug positive stops work great finding tdc.

loudbang likes this.
  10. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

360 harmonic thingy's are external balance and will lead to an early divorce from the hemi. If you shop the parts stores for a balancer ask for one for a 1990 dodge 150 pickup with 318 engine. Of course tell the parts guy it is without A/C or power windows!
    Junk or new you'll need a balancer or damper for a 318,273 or (so I believe) a neutral balance 383.
    How can you tell a neutral from an external? An external harmonic thing will have an obvious lump on one side. The neutral balance is the same all around as if it were cut on a lathe.

loudbang likes this.
  11. And not painted red.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I still have mine from 30 plus years ago. IMG_3660.JPG

loudbang, stillrunners and Hotrodmyk like this.
  13. 73RR

73RR

...I think you guys scared the OP...:confused:
    Hopefully he will come back with some details about what he has.

loudbang likes this.
  14. putz

putz
    from wisc.

more info. to follow ..thank you

town sedan and loudbang like this.
  15. George

George

Have you checked out "The Hemi Tech Index"? If not put it in search.

town sedan, 73RR and loudbang like this.