Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hemi and mopar historians - is this real or FOS ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Oct 21, 2013.

1. 1959 crown imperial with original numbers matching 392 hemi

From the ad...

1958 was the last year that the Imperials used the 392ci hemi in every car, but the Crown Imperial was the only one to still use the hemi in '59 like this one.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4127368991.html

Now as far as I know just the The Ghia-built Crown Imperial was the only 1959 Chrysler car to retain the 392. There were 7 of them and limos I think.

So is this that super rare mopar or a 392/413 transplant?

2. Squablow

Squablow

Didn't the Imperial have "Imperial" valve covers too? That kinda looks like a 2 barrel carb from the one crappy picture of the engine. Neat car either way, although "make an offer" means "fishing for a sucker" to me.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

I saw the ad on CL also. This Imperial should have come with a 413 Wedgehead. 1958 was the last year Imperial came with a Hemi. 31Vicky you must have the source book I have concerning the Crown Imperial. Only seven were built by Ghia of Italy in 1959, which was the last year Ghia used the 392 Hemi (325 hp). Guess because it was over 100 lbs heavier and had less horsepower than the 413 (340/350 hp).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  4. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I cannot find any record of any 1959 Imperial other than the Ghia built models coming factory with a 392. That was definitely a transplanted engine, which while cool doesnt make it particularly rare or any more valuable. These earlier imperials were a line of their own and share almost no parts with other full sized chryslers of the same vintage. They did have some super cool and interesting features which were light years ahead of their time. This guy is looking for a sucker to buy into the hemi deal...maybe gas monkey garage will buy it?

5. George

George

1 year only, can't remember if it was '57 or '58.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Craigslist seller also states that Imperial became separate make in '57 when it was actually '55. He may just be repeating what he was told when he bought the car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. badlite

badlite

I would guess that the chassis were built in 1958, sent to Italy to have bodies built and installed. They then were built on chassis that were 1 year old by the time they wer finished, as all ghia bodies were hand built.

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Looks like a transplant to me.

If it were a "real" '59 Imperial built on a '58 chassis (as the Ghia cars were) then it would have a correct '58 Imperial 392. That engine would have the Imperial-stamped valve covers, which were one-year-only.

Still looks like a cool car and hopefully it gets some attention. They only made 1,728 of them and that one looks straight and fairly rust-free.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1959/FactsAndFigures.htm

9. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Chrysler switched to the 413 primarily because it was far less costly to build.

10. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

My 58 Crown imperial parts car, fire power covers, trust me, they came on this car[​IMG]

11. badlite

badlite

I have a 331 Hemi stamped as imperial that had never had valve covers removed, and they say Fire Power on them.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  12. badlite

badlite

I worked in a dealership in early 60's and saw several imperials that did not have valve covers that said imperial.

13. badlite

badlite

Check the numbers on block. 58c means it is 1958 Imperial. Numbers are stamped on milled flat a t front of block under rear of generator.

14. big M

big M

Never saw a '59 Imperial or Chrysler equipped with the hemi, all were 413 wedge engines. Most likely story is that the original engine failed, and was replaced with a used engine from an earlier Imp. or Chrysler years ago. Does look to have a 4-barrel AFB carburetor.

---John

15. SBCWelder

SBCWelder

Every time I see a car like that, I feel so much better about mine.
    The dash and exterior trim are for sure '59, so most likely the hemi is swapped in.
    Was there a price in the ad?

16. Checked my "Standard Book of Cars" and it agrees with everything said here. Lists the standard engine on the Crown as a 413. Does not say anything about any 58's titled as 59's. Chrysler Corp was known to do this in earlier years. Lots of smart guys on here!

17. badlite

badlite

Title numbers are on the bodies not chassis, so holdover chassis were sometimes used at later date 1978 was last year for Dodge big trucks and big block engines, but seen many motor homes and marine engines in 1979 and later applications.

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

I love numbers matching on pre 65 cars. Most GM and Chrysler VINs at most will only tell you if it was a V8 or 6. Ford gave more info.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  19. badlite

badlite

All Chrysler corp hemi engines were stamped to tell year and car or truck they were installed in.

20. George

George

A comment attributed to Don Garlits said it save 30-35$ an engine.

21. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

OK guys, in accordance with HAMB policy I spent a couple of days getting the pictures so that I can prove it is real.

Here are pictures of a '59 Chrysler Imperial/Ghia limo. One of 7 made. Please note the 392 hemi with valve covers that say "Fire Power" on them.

The gentleman that owns it is slowly restoring it. When I first saw it the car was ratty but complete. All of the parts that have been removed are stored awaiting their turn to be refurbished.

I'm now hoping to attach the pictures with no computer disasters.

Attached Files:

22. SBCWelder

SBCWelder

Not to stir the pot here, but the limo is a bit different from the car advertised in the OP.
    The engine and dash in the limo look to be be correct for a '58, not a '59. Perhaps the limo is sold as a '59 (there are only 7), but the cars are very different.
    I still vote engine swap on the original car. A lot can happen in 54 years.

23. Cerberus

Cerberus

SBCWelder, My exact same thoughts.

24. big M

big M

I concur here also.

---John

25. Those are the wrong covers if it is an imperial. imperial was not a chrysler in '58 it was its own entity.

26. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Someone has worked on the one pictured above. Chrysler and Imperial never used Phillips head screws for the wire covers.

27. 35desoto

35desoto

Didnt Desoto use phillips head screws on their hemi wire covers and Dodge a flat head screw? on their hemi engines?