Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheMerc, Mar 31, 2014.

1. So in hopes to rebuild my original transmission (attached bellhousing BW 3 speed w/ overdrive) in my 1950 Mercury, I bought a 49-50 transmission of the same type for a Ford but it doesn't have the attached bellhousing. I am wondering if the cluster gear would be the same so that I can remove it from the Ford and put it in the Mercury.
    Any help would be appreciated greatly! (I will add pictures tonight)

2. As I remember the way it went some 35 years ago. The gears are Ford only and Merc only. However if you find a 51 Merc bellhousing you can bolt the Ford trans to the motor no issues but need to modify the trans mount just a bit. It couldn't have been to difficult or I couldn't have made it work. There is also a vague memory of something to do with Junk yarding for a drive shaft. Man that was a long time ago.
    The Wizzard

3. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I tried to rebuild my 50 Ford transmission using 50 Merc trans. parts. I had blown 2nd gear (1st of 12). Had it almost all together but the cluster gear from Merc would not work with Ford gears. Don't remember exactly what the problem was though.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There is a '51 Merc bell housing for sale in the HAMB classifieds as I write this...or was..a little while ago. Good option.

5. Ok. So now the question is, does anyone have the correct cluster gear so I can repair mine correctly? And does anyone need a 49-50 Ford 3 speed with overdrive?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Cluster gear from a 49-50 Ford trans (OD or Std) can be used in a 49-50 Merc (OD or Std). Same tooth count......28-24-18-14. There is one difference between the two: the Merc cluster gear uses the caged roller bearings and the Ford gear uses the loose needle bearings with a longer spacer tube. Easy swap. You can NOT use the Ford main drive gear (input shaft) as it is a smaller spline diameter.

If you count the cluster gear teeth in that Ford trans and come up with 27-23-17-13 then you have a 51-54 trans and none of the gears will work in your Merc trans.

7. snaptwo

snaptwo

Having owned several Mercs. back in the day. I recall usng the guts rom a side shift 40-48 Ford or Merc. box. Those used to be cheap and plentiful . Be careful about using the 49 up Ford units n a Merc. because the clutch linkages are different ! Some claim the late 51 merc. changed over the linkage style but I've never understood why and never saw one either. 52 and later yes.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

True. The late '51 Merc uses a truck style bellhousing with a rotating shaft clutch linkage.

9. Only looking to swap the cluster gear, nothing else.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using H.A.M.B. mobile app