Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with Traditional '30 Model A Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TiredIronGRB, Oct 19, 2010.

1. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

Looks great like the head light stands

2. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

Who manufactures the grill and shell you bought? I am also looking for a repro

3. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Got it off ebay.

4. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Got my intake and carbs in...also found some Corvette valve covers at the last swap meet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Set the body on to start fabing up the steering, brake pedal and all the other little odds and ends. Here's a video of how to install the body by yourself :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Got my steering mocked up, I'm using the column, wheel and box from a '40 Ford truck. It seems to work good but I don't see many people using them. I used 3/8 plate for the mount

The steering wheel has been spray bombed but is in great shape, the column had been beat up pretty bad so I replaced the bottom half with a section from a column shift column from the '46 donor chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Wow this thing's really coming along...lookin good! Makes me wish the weather would warm up already so I could get going on mine again. Are you going to leave it on top of the frame or channel it?

8. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great thread, scary video, good looking build.

9. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

No channel, but probably chop the top 3".

10. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Great looking build , building a 31 coupe myself , one possible problem I see is the transverse rear leaf with the ladder bars straight ahead attaching to the frame. there will be a bind issue and possible cracking of the brackets or rear end housing with a setup like this. There are several threads on here addressing this issue.

11. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I plan to use a panhard rod to eliminate side to side movement.

12. I'm a little concerned about the placement of the steering gear box, looks like it should be moved forward quite a bit.

13. Red Ram Hemi

Red Ram Hemi
    from Shack

Lookin's good!

Red Ram Hemi

14. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I measured the distance between the axle and pitman arm on the chassis I got the box from and I'm really close, if I move it forward any more I will need to lengthen the column.

What exactly is your concern? Bump steer? And thanks for the comments guys, all this helps.

15. boutlaw

boutlaw

the coupe is looking great,subscribed.....

16. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Nice build thread for sure. I'm running a similar steering setup on my A. I'm just now in the mock up stage (I work REALLY slow). Yours looks good, how was the spacing for the exhaust? I had to raise my engine up a bit to clear the column.

17. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Side to side really is not what I mean . When one rear wheel moves up and down there is a twisting action on the ladder bars that puts a lot of stress on the brackets on the rear ladder bar mounts. Like i said earlier there are several threads that address this problem.

18. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I'm either going with stock ram horns or lake style headers, either way I'm good on clearence.

Gotcha, I'll read up on the other threads.

Thanks again for the input.

19. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Wow you come a long way. Looking good!

20. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

You could end up with bump steer since both links arent parallel in the front.
    Also those rear ladders need to be closer together in the front at the trans crossmember. Lots of info on them in past threads.
    You are making some real quick progress with that coupe . Looks good.

21. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

That's just mocked up, I have a '48 arm (taper on the top vs on the bottom) that I've bent some so they should be level when I change that out.

22. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Been working on a dash, pretty simple design just rolled under the bottom edge. Going to use a speedometer from a '60 Impala (has high beam and signal indicator lamps), will probably go with some older SW gauges (two on each side of the speedometer).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. striper

striper

I just found this. I like what I'm seeing so far. I thought it was interesting that you mounted your headlights before you had a grill shell. They seem to be in a good spot..just a brave move. I love the headlight stands too. Lot's of innovation going on here.

In short, the closer the front mounts are to the centre, the better it will be. More efficient movement without binding and far less stress on components.

Pete

24. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

To get my drag link at the right level I used a '48 pitman arm and added a little more bend to it.

[​IMG]

Got the dash cut for the speedo and started framing up the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut the manged up rear crossmember and filler panel out and began squaring up the rear fenders.

[​IMG]

25. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Are you using the top of the bellhousing to set the front pitch of the floorboard?
    Looks like it might cut your foot room down quite a bit, at least looking at the distance between the original hight and your driver's side frame. Have you considered using the stock location and building a trans hump instead or are you trying to stay away from that?

26. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

The seat will be all the way back and the steering and pedals will be back a few inches as well, I'm 6' 2" and it seems to fit pretty good.

27. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Lot's of good build threads with Model A floorboard details on here...

28. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I got my floor finished and picked up a seat, it's for the rear of a CJ5 Jeep.

[​IMG]

I will probably only use the shift gate/pattern part of the console.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mounting legs will be turned toward the rear, the seat has a latch in the rear and folds forward.

[​IMG]

Pretty good storage behind the seat.

[​IMG]

29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

This is a great looking thing, lots of good idea's. subscribed

30. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

Nice building
    stay sending updates