Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with removing locking gas cap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951fordf100, Jan 30, 2010.

1. 1951fordf100

1951fordf100
    from Idaho

Anyone know the best way to remove a locking gas cap? "With the key" was my first thought to, but I'm not that lucky. I did a search and didn't find much. One guy says he runs a big screw in the keyhole and yanks it out with a vice grip. Any other ideas.

2. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

yes take a slide hammer and pull out the key assembly, thats what the kids do to the ignation on a car

3. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

you should be able to run a couplle of thin picks/shims in and release the spring-loaded ears. you could also cut the rubber collar/link and work it on the bench.

4. RichG

RichG

The keys on those are pretty wimpy (not too complex)...I have an old ring of keys in my shop drawer, more than once I've just taken out the ring and tried key after key, and more than once I've gotten something open. I learned this from my wife's grandfather so I guess it's the traditional method:D

5. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Take a big flathead screw driver and place it in the key slot. Take a hammer and have at it. I have used that method a few times. Works on both plastic and metal caps. Usually I can get them off in under 5 seconds.

6. DrJ

DrJ

What?
    No one ever taught you how to pick a lock?
    Get some piano wire and bend an L in one that you can slip into the key slot put turning tension on the tumbler in the unlock direction.
    Bend a lazy V in the end of another piece about as deep as the tumblers might be.
    Put turning tension on the tumbler and rake or pick the tumblers individually starting with the deepest one until they release. The tension has to be constant or the tumblers that already are lined up will pop back in the locked position.
    No, it isn't that easy...
    The way private Eyes do it on TV is bogus.
    Destroy the tools when finished.
    They are illegal if you aren't a licensed lock smith, or don't make them in the first place if you always obey every law always.... :rolleyes:

On a gas cap I'd try every suit case key and pad lock key you or any friendly neighbor has first.

You can pick handcuffs as easy as a tin cash box with a bent paper clip, Don't ask...

7. El Gordo

El Gordo

Cutting torch:D:D:eek:

8. Fingers

Fingers

Yep, hammer the screwdriver into the key slot, twist.:)

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Or maybe not...

10. choptop37

choptop37

+2 on the hammer/ big screwdriver= 5 seconds

11. duste01

duste01

they arent as locking as you might think. I have taken one off my 53 f100 just by brute strength once cause I had someone remove the key from my ring and discovered it missing at the pump.

12. brewsir

brewsir

squeeze with big channel lock pliers and turn at the same time.....but probably depends on the type of locking gas cap. I would also try driving the screwdriver into the keyhole and using vice grips to turn the screwdriver until it opens.

13. second_time_around

second_time_around
    from Ohio

long screw and a pair of vicegrips

14. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

silly me I took mine to a corner locksmith. He walked out took a look. Grabbed a set of old keys and a triangular file. In less then a minute he had it off and gave me a set of keys for it. cost a huge 10 bucks.whew