Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with part fit

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mark Halley, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Mark Halley

Mark Halley

Hey all. New to the forum. Looking for help. I can't find replacment hood hinges for my 1940 Pontiac Special 6 Business Coupe. Does anyone know what parts, makes, years can I use as hood hinges. My car came without these. Thanks!

2. Same year Chevy or Olds would be a starting point. Google some images of those for a look. On lower production cars like yours, you might just have to find something close and modify it.

Mark Halley likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

• The entry level Pontiac was known as the Special Six and offered five (5) models; business coupe, sport coupe, 2 door sedan, 4 door sedan and station wagon. They were all built on a 116.5” wheelbase chassis (Advertised as 117”) and featured the small A-body shared with Chevrolet and Oldsmobile (60 series) ;
    • The Deluxe Six and Deluxe Eight rode on a 120” wheelbase chassis and mounted the larger B-body shared with the junior series Oldsmobile, Buick and Cadillac.
    As stated start with similar YOM Chevrolet; check length, tension, mounting style and number of coils with yours, otherwise you may have to improvise.

Mark Halley likes this.
  4. Mark Halley

Mark Halley

Thanks! I've been looking for 1940 Chevy as well but since I don't have any hood hinges, wasn't sure about the fit.

5. 5window

5window

Unless you can get a definitive answer here, your first step is to locate what the ones you are missing look like. Maybe try a Pontiac forum or one of the forums on the AACA website?

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Mark Halley

Mark Halley

Thanks! I'm new to this so I'll give that a try!