Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help With Old School Paint (Lowrider Style)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Justin-Az, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

Im getting ready to paint my 66 Catalina and am going for the oldschool Watson style look. I need some advise.

Body work is basically done so paint is coming soon, so far have repaired all rust, shaved doors, shaved trunk, shaved molding, shaved emblems , shaved wiper cowl louvers, shaved wipers and antenna.

Ok paint will be gold with flaked out , candy patterned and laced out roof that may also have some webbing. The roof will be in various shades of candy red. Also car will have gold leafing, silver leafing and some old school pinstriping.

What I need to know is should we flake out the gold body as well? I mean is it better to flake out body or use something like ice pearl on body? What did people do back in the day?

2. willymakeit

willymakeit

Have you done the research? You have to live with the results. Check Rodders Journal ect. till you find what you like.

3. what kinda gold body are you going for? gold flake? gold candy over a flake? gold pearl? thats the real question. its all personal preference at that point

4. skoh73

skoh73

Once you get a better idea of what you are looking for, go to The Photoshop Thread To End All Photoshop Threads and I'm sure someone will help you out.

5. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

I know what I want on the car but am just wondering about flake and if it was heavily used in the mid 60s - early 70s. Basically I want car like below except for a more true gold color.

[​IMG]

6. tommy v

tommy v

7. In the mid 60's there were a few guy's using flake over the entire car but most of us just flaked the top and painted the rest a matching color. Pearls, lace and such came along mostly in the 70's, I'm sure there were exceptions but metalflake was new then and very expensive.

8. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

Getting done. Decided to put 1.5 pounds 18k micro flake and use candy gold on body. Roof will be about 4 shades of candy red over silver with .5 pounds red flake in the candy red so the patterns and lace sparkle like 4th of july.

9. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

here's an idea of what some flake, candy, some lace and cobwebbing look like on a pontiac.

Attached Files:

10. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

FLAKE ARRIVED:
    [​IMG]

11. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

12. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

13. YES! do it! this is gonna be awesome

are those 5.20's?! coker? or og?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  14. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

why dont yopu spray the car kandy gold with soome gold flake inserts with some pinstriping or leafing around the inserts. Just a thought. Or a big not teardrop but start form the front fender and go all the way to the back fender with gold flake like one long insert panel. but the rest of the car kandy gold.

15. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

You just have to know when to stop, one thing about Watson's style is he didn't put everything he knew on one car. Some overdoo and you loose the flow with too many styles on one car.

16. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

IMHO your tire/wheel combo looks like shit........

17. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, it would look awesome with some red steel wheels and WWW's. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

I like the Astro Supreme's with the pinner whitewalls, they go with the erra of the car. Some Bellflower or Lakers would look right at home. Don't listen to those other guys, red steelies and wide whites are not for every car. Keep the Astro's "You nailed it" with that wheel combo!

19. yeah i agree. shoulda gone reversed!

naw im kidding man you nailed it dont change a thing. unless your worried about those 5.20's comming apart on ya, then id be more than happy to take them off your hands.

20. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

Almost the plan. :) Just got to do a small bit more body work first.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  21. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

Good thing you aint gotta be seen riollin in it huh? :)

22. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

Woulda saved me allot of money. :D

23. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

Man I really wanted to go reverse but couldnt , only way to do it would be to narrow the rear about 2" on each side. I tried a set of reverse and no way they where going to fit even if I would have shaved the fenders etc.

24. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

This car will not most likely have webbing, water drops, scales or etc. Plan is to use a old school type style but add a modern feel to it.

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look for the lowrider post. Groucho started it. It will show you as much of what you don't want as what you do. Kustombuilder started a post about wild and kandy paint jobs, again, full of dos and don'ts. Pick a style and stick with it. The biggest secret to kustom paint? Knowing when to stop.

26. grf-x

grf-x

Orale Justin-Az,

I don't know much about the Watson style... but i can drop this on you... Short of Cali, you got some of the best resources in the SW to draw from. Check out some of the lowrider clubs in Phoenix, or head down to Tucson (was stationed there). Some of the paint shops and hydraulic shops there will be able to point you to the way. Being from 'burque area (albuquerque NM) I have seen some beautiful paint jobs old and new school. Hope this helps.

27. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

Man theres allot of great painters in AZ and even more coming here from elsewhere. The guy painting my car is a young guy , around 24, named Chawps that works out of a shop in Glendale. Below you can see link to his layitlow paint thread.

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=533604&st=0

28. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

I have a mental image of what I want and Chawps has drawn it out on paper, theres about another 2 days rep work on the car then its going in the booth and Chawps and Chavo will paint and stripe it. What do you think of idea like keeping it old school but getting modern by candying the leafing and striping etc? My plan is to keep the paint old school but get modern with the electronics. Finally found a interior guy today for the next phase thatll come in around December.

29. grf-x

grf-x

Best of luck to you. I hope the paint lays just the way you envisioned it. I have been airbrushing since i was a young pup. So paint ranks pretty high up on my important things list. Post some pics if you can. Ya got a few of us interested on the result i think.

30. Justin-Az

Justin-Az
    from Phoenix

The Chawp Shop has now flaked the Ventura next will be lace, patterns, leafing and striping.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]