Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with ID of Old Mopar Motor and Trans 37 Plymouth

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cturboaddict, Sep 16, 2018.

1. cturboaddict

cturboaddict

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. My book with numbers is with my car and it is in the shop awaiting a few parts to come in for repair. Basically that would be the same engine in my 50 Plymouth deluxe. Mine is a 217.8 CI engine. There are two different length engines in the flathead 6 series, a 23" & a 25" length. Not positive where they measure but likely head length?
    I think the Chrysler & DeSoto were the longer version and may have a bit larger CI displacement.
    I have found several places that have a fair amount of new old stock as well as aftermarket parts & stuff for these models if you need them let me know.
    I got my Plymouth at a good deal recently as it was running like a piece of shit & missing & shaking something fierce. Body & interior is excellent with an older paint and interior redo. Checking out the engine when I got it home they had 2 plug wires reversed and it purrs like a kitten now. I did find out that on my engine there were 3 different distributors used in 1950 alone and to get a cap & or rotor you MUST have the # off the distributor tag.
    Check this out if you want to hop it up a bit - very interesting site - https://www.moparmontana.com/ .
    Also check out Cliffords for cams & intake manifolds with multiple carbs - https://www.cliffordperformance.net/
    I also have a few other links for the Plymouth hop up stuff. Plymouth flat head hop up stuff is expensive.
    Also here is the link to Plymouth Owners Club magazine and they have tech advisors & a forum.
    http://www.plymouthbulletin.com/
    Jimmie

stanlow69 likes this.
  3. cturboaddict

cturboaddict

4. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

cturboaddict likes this.

5. cturboaddict

cturboaddict

Much appreciated! Exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks!!!

6. squirrel

squirrel

the casting date is Jan 1951, what more do you want? :)

7. cturboaddict

cturboaddict

Wasn't sure of engine size or what it came out of. All squared away now.

squirrel likes this.
  8. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

218's are great Engines! Very dependable.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cturboaddict likes this.