Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with early 70s GM steering column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky ink, Apr 18, 2016.

1. lucky ink

lucky ink

Need some here guys? My father passed early this year long time hot rodder. I took possession of the car we built in late 70s A 32 3window it has a early 70s Pontiac column. For as long as I can remember the key has been stuck in ignition but turned off just wouldn't pull out.The car had been sitting for several years yesterday I got It out and running would not shut off had to pull coil wire to stop.So here is problem bought a new ignition switch but can't get the ignition to go to off position and shut off??? Please help A bald guy out...

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Should have a rod running down to the switch itself. Remove the actual switch, disconnecting the rod and see if the key mechanism then goes back to "off" position. Could just be a bad switch.

4. cavman

cavman

Try depressing the switch just a bit while turning to the stop position.

5. lucky ink

lucky ink

I removed rod still no return to off....

6. lucky ink

lucky ink

Thanks but didn't work.

7. lucky ink

lucky ink

Seems to be actual column that won't go into off position? not switch

8. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

I had a 70 gto with a 4 sp, the trans had to be in reverse to remove the key. The column had a collar that had to rotate CCW to remove the key. This collar is below the collar that the key is installed into. Hope this is the issue with yours. Pete

9. Two couped up......
    Mines been like that for years. It's an old 70s tilt column, was column shift which is long gone. Now floor shift. After driving a bit, the lower housing rotates very slightly and will not allow the ign to be turned all the way off to pull the key out. I simply grab the lower column and give it a slight twist. I guess I've gotten used to it.

10. lucky ink

lucky ink

Thanks Pete so easy but know one seemed to have answer it's in off position now I can put it all back together and try it.. hope for beast thanks again Pete

11. Theirs a rack type gear in the housing. Its on the end of the tumbler. Will require you to get a service manual and go fix it. Common problem. Tumbler comes out turn signal switch also.

12. lucky ink

lucky ink

Well car started now when it's in off position key came out car still running???? Not a good day.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd yank the SOB, put a simple column in there and put the ignition on the dash. IMO, as far as Hot Rods go, tilt columns get tossed into the same pile as cup holders, seat warmers and ex wives.

slack likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So true, so true...unless your overweight, drink and drive, have a cold ass and like a little ex-sex now and again. Other than that I have no objection to your theory sir, toss away.

Attached Files:

15. lucky ink

lucky ink

ResizedImage_1461024306811.jpg ResizedImage_1461024366132.jpg What I dug out from my Fathers to my garage. Paint was done in 1980 still turns heads would really like to keep as is rite now.Cleaned up pretty good so I guess I'll keep lookin for now I'll get an answer somewhere..

Tim likes this.
  16. trollst

trollst

Why don't you just find an old non tilt column and swap it out?

17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

18. Larry T

Larry T

The ignition switch is slotted so that it can be adjusted by sliding it up or down the column. Have you tried moving it to adjust it? It would need to be moved up the column (toward the wheel) to make it shut off if it's out of adjustment.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sounds like there's all kinds of dances people do to get them to work right. For now I'd just wore a new switch in the dash or in a little under dash panel and get it on the road. Worry about making the one in the colum work when it's snowing for the other 6 months of the year.