Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help! What do I do now paint dripped while I was painting lacquer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 3, 2016.

1. I has some paint drip on the roof of my truck while I was spraying. Its lacquer. What do I do now?? Thanks

?[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. BJR

BJR

Wet sand it with 600 on a block and see if it comes off. If it comes off, then wet sand with 800 and buff.

Sporty45 likes this.
  3. always good to tape a paper towel [folded] around the paint cup. back in the day we used to use "sweat bands".

belair and john worden like this.
  4. How long should I wait before I sand it was on the very first coat.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. zombiecat

zombiecat

Is that the first coat of paint on the top? If it is, it should be dry by now. And also if it is, just sand it smooth and resume painting. Lacquer is fairly forgiving like that.

Bugguts and john worden like this.
  6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Wet block sand to flat w/600 If paper clogs give it more time. Spray more coats to at least hiding.

7. zombiecat

zombiecat

8. belair

belair

If you are pretty short, forget about it. You'll never see it. ;) Is it metallic? Eastwood and others sell a little block with sharp metal "blades". Called a paint nib, I believe. Highlander recommended them. Shaves the high spot down, less sanding, keeps the repair limited to the size of the drop or run. I would wait 24 hours, but lacquer dries real fast.

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If that's the base ( I know what you're up to!), you definitely have to sand it smooth and put more paint on. Just blending in some to cover just that area won't work for your application. The base has to be just about perfect! Lacquer is very forgiving, so wait a half hour and it should be OK to sand.

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I just use a razor blade with blunted corners and lightly shave raised paint then sand. Likely will have to recoat to hide completely.

11. aaggie

aaggie

If you are using a siphon spray gun you need a diaper around it. The vent hole in the top of the cup will drip especially when the cup is full. Red shop towels work well on my old Binks 18.

12. Thanks guys. The problem was my own stupidity. I am using disposable cups and when I filled it up the second time I over filled the cup and it dripped out the vent hole which is on the bottom (gun side) of the cup (gravity spray gun) so it dripped all over but I got it sorted out thanks to your help.

@chopolds I wish I knew what I was up to LOL:eek:

zombiecat and Flowmeister like this.
  13. K13 it happens to me a lot with acrlic enamel and Harbor Freight spray guns.I wait a week then sand it and buff it out or just reshoot the spot.We all aint pros.I paint in my small shop and wet down the floors and throw a chain over the rear end the night before .Next morning when its cool I go down and turn on the exhaust fan and go to painting. Here you can see my little shop in the back ground Good luck on getting the spots out we know you can.Bruce. HPIM1913.JPG