Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! Subframe model a PU 1930

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kjell Elias, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Does anyone have some Blueprints for a homemade subframe i can use on my model a RPU? just need somthing to build it after :)

Txh Kjell Elias

2. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

OK, you have a Model A roadster pickup. Exactly what is it that you want to accomplish? Is there a certain engine that you want to build for or what?

3. Originale enige :) if you look at my build tread you se what i have started.. :)

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Is car going to be channeled or not ? If not, and if it is an original rpu body, places like Brookville Roadster sell the complete subframes. If it is channeled, you are on your own. There are no "blueprints" and if there were they would be meaningless as every car is different than every other car.

If you are channeling it, here is a 30 rpu we did, but it is running an Olds engine and TH350 trans, so the trans hump will be different than yours. However, it should at least show you some basics of one way to do it.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More bracing was added in the foot area after these were taken, but these pictures are all I could find right now.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

5. Thx for the pics, the body is not channeled, the model T rear section is, but that will go on another car. so we want the originale messurments for a subrame, need it by monday, so i cant order from the states.. hehe, it will be like an originale RPU

6. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

OK, I read through 4 pages of your build. Now, please explain what it is that you want to do.

7. Im going to rebuild everything behind the cowl, so i just want to know how thick and wide the subframe would originaly be? its not going to be completly original, but i want to be somthing like it? do you understand? my english isnt that good either.. sorry for that...

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't know if this will help you any, but here is the original floor subframe for a 30-31 Ford rpu. We used this one to get our dimensions before we started building the one for the channeled version.

Don

[​IMG]

9. Thats what i want the messurments from :) i dont supose you have the dimensions?

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, sorry, we no longer have that subframe. Part of it got used in the new subframe and the rest went on Ebay when we were done with it. But those lines on the platform we built are exactly 6 inches apart, so that would make the length about 36 inches. That is the dimension from the very back of the cab to just slightly in front of the front door jam.

But don't take that as gospel as your body may be different, depending on what parts you are building it from.

Don

Maybe this will help you make your subframe. We built a simple platform out of a sheet of plywood with a 2 x 4 framework around it, and we scribed a line down the very center of it and then more lines every 6 inches. This gave us a totally square footprint to start building my Son's body on.

[​IMG]

We first built the cowl, then we started screwing the subframe down to the plywood with drywall screws so it wouldn't lose it's shape. Then it was simply a matter of fitting doors and finally fitting the back section of the body to all of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we had the jams and all looking like they fit right we removed the original subframe and started building the one for the channel to fit within the body. It made it so much easier to do it this way.

[​IMG]

Then we were able to put the body on the frame and we made a temporary jig to support it and keep it in line while we built the rest of the final subframe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope some of these pictures help you out with yours.

Don

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  11. Thx Don, that helped ALLOT! :)