Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! Steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bumpercarkid, Mar 3, 2013.

1. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

I will start by admitting I know next to nothing when it comes to steering. I know a lot of you on here have build custom rides and figured maybe you could lend some knowledge on how to set it up and also where and what to buy, parts wise.

What I have is a 1959 Chevy apache 1/2 ton. I ripped those axles out and put both axles from a '70's I believe Dodge motorhome dually. Got them mounted in and looking good. Now i am trying to set up the steering. I have the column that came with the axles sitting in there but not permanent yet. I mounted the gearbox in front of axle as you can see in the picture.

The first picture is what the end looks like coming out of the column.

The second picture shows the route I will have to follow to connect column to the box.

The third picture is on the gearbox where the column would slide in.

The fourth picture is hard to see, but shows where knuckle and pitman arm location are.

What I need help with is 1. connecting the column to the gearbox, and 2. connecting the steering knuckle on axle to the pitman arm on gearbox. (If gearbox location will even work.)

I hope that info all makes sense. Anything other info you need please ask. I do appreciate all help. Trying to get it wrapped up to get it on the road come spring time!

Attached Files:

2. Normbc9

Normbc9

www./borgeson.com and these photos will get you all of the professional help you need. Steering quality is essential when you are rolling for your safety and those exposed to your vehicle.. Call them or Flaming River.
    Normbc9