Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help Removing 1933 Banjo Axle Tube Seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Marlowe, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Jeff Marlowe

Jeff Marlowe

Hello friends!

Does anyone know a trick to remove a stubborn axle tube seal out of the Banjo rear end? I’m rebuilding my ‘33 rear and one of the seals is giving me grief. It’s the seal deep inside the axle tube. Though the other tube seal came out with no trouble this seal has come apart while trying to drift it out now just the shell is there. There is a bit of a lip left on it that I can feel but it’s tapered now from me hitting on it. Now none of my pry bars or rods or flat stock catch it to drift it out.

Has anyone encountered this, and conquered it? If so can you share the tricks?

Thanks!

2. randombob

randombob

Hi Jeff,

In the middle of the same thing with a 1936 bell. I have the whole lip beat up, and I am worried I peened it to the inside. I was going fold a nice flat screwdriver to a 90 to pry around the lip next. PITA all around.

3. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

4. randombob

randombob

Sorry for the late response, I checked the link at the time, thanks for that.

I've been all around, but keep coming back to my 1936 banjo seal. What I meant was the seal split, leaving the top half, and the skirt in the banjo tube. It has moved a little, but it is hard to get a toe hold on it with anything. I've been picturing an adjustable seal puller to fab, that can span the seal in the tube, and hopefully I can move on with my life. I have 1939 bells, but i may be too stupid to just roll over and use those.

5. randombob

randombob

Victory last night! Finally bent a large screwdriver, and then ground a tooth into the blade. I was able to pry out a seat for the punch tool with the bent screwdriver, then tap the seal out. About time... Screenshot_20230302-212507.png Screenshot_20230302-212540.png

alchemy likes this.