Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs HELP Please: Lake Pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kensey, May 9, 2015.

1. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Happy Saturday, super nice in Pittsburgh!

So I know lake pipes are like cats, you either love them or hate them. My dad loved them, and it's rolled down to me. I am mounting lake pipes on my 61 buick, perfect on these cars! X frame so there's no mounting to that. My question is WILL THIS METHOD WORK? My rockers are rock solid. If I cut the bracket where my fingers are, and run a large bolt where the screwdriver is straight into the rocker. (see pict) I will NOT be hooking the pipes up. Already lost too much of my hearing listening to Metal too loud. Mom told me it would happen, and shit if it didn't.

I am asking for opinions, or suggestions on a better method.
    Thanks! Kensey
    [​IMG]

2. papajohn

papajohn

Sure. Maybe put a nutsert and lock washer instead of a self tapper.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A nutsert would be best...self tappers will loosen over a period of time simply by the Lakers vibrating, besides self tappers only grip the sheet metal and prolly won't tighten enuff to pull the bracket up tight to the pipe...IF nothing else, drill holes, weld nuts to the rocker and then put the bracket on...

R-

4. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Nutsert will be awesome! Forgot about those!! THANKS!!

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Pictures please.

6. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Hook them up just don't uncap them. The other way is like a cowboy shirt and hat with tennis shoes!

7. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

We tack welded a bracket to the backside of mine, then bolted them up to the body.
    I prefered not to have that ring bracket around the pipes. Just another option for you.

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I mount a bracket on the rocker panel, making it wide, for 2 or 3 screws or bolts. Weld a 3/8" bolt on the backside of the pipe, mount it to the bracket, with a shock absorber bushing in between, so if you hit it a bit, it can flex. Nothing visible from the outside.