Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help please, charging issue, mopar single field alt, exciter wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skiviskaves, Jul 31, 2014.

1. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Just rewired my car with a kwik wire kit, won't charge. It has a single field mopar alternator with external voltage regulator. I have field to field wired between alt and reg. Running the "alternator exciter" wire to the other (left) side of the voltage reg. Obviously the hot batt wire to the batt post on the alt. Good grounds all around. Thing wont charge and I dont know why not. Should I be jumping the exciter wire to the alternator? Please help!

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Nobody mentions this but you also need a good ground between the regulator and the alternator. On 70s Mopars there was a braided ground wire about 1/4" wide that went from the regulator screw to the engine. This was the body ground.

There are only 2 wires, so it is pretty hard to wire it wrong, but you might check them against a Mopar wiring diagram to be sure.

3. Single wire alt mopar,
    Unplug the field wire. Apply battery voltage from the alt battery terminal . Since the other field is grounded it should charge. Only thing that will ever likely go wrong is the brushes will wear out. Since it is a mopar they are changed from outside in a matter of minutes. With a single wire field one brush , the insulated one which is raised a bit in a plastic spacer under the field terminal receives the pos supply from the regulator. The other brush is grounded.no insulator. I have seen many folks trying to use the wrong dual wire alt with a single wire reg. (which can be easily done but you have to ground one of the brushes. ) This system is the most reliable simplest system there is.
    don

4. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Thanks Don. You say unplug the field and apply batt voltage, you mean to the field post of the regulator? Am I right to have the exciter wire to the opposite end of the regulator?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!