Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP NEEDED in tulsa area.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrome_fins, May 20, 2012.

1. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

Ok, i give...most times i try to be resourceful and do things on my own, lol, but...in this case, i have to ask.

Does anyone in the tulsa area have a drill press, or hone with the ability to help me drill out a master cylinder bore up to just shy of 1 1/4 inches. this will still leav PLENTY of wall tickness. current inside diameter is just over 1 1/8". If anyone could help me punch this hole out, so i can get the 57 coronet rolling again, I'd surely be grateful! my overhaul kit hardware is 1 1/4.

Thanks in advance.
    Chrome-

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

You need a lot higher tech tools than a drill press or hone to do this. Now that you have screwed up the cylinder you have, I'm sure, you need to find a replacement. Why in god's name were you trying to use a 1&1/4 kit in a 1&1/8 bore cylinder????

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Chrome...Not to "poo-poo" your can-do attitude, but THIS approach is not the way to go, as John said above. Not only is the boring-out of a master cylinder something you just don't do, IF ya COULD successfully accomplish that, the re-sizing would most likely result in a pedal pressure requirement that might be impossible to easily deliver. DD

4. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

well, though i do restorations professionally, i am always looking for an opportunity to learn something new. I usually replace the cylinders, rather than rebuild. This one, i figured i would toy with. Yes, it will change the pedal pressure, that part i had figured on. The 1 1/4 kit is actually the only one on the market for this master cylinder.

i thought that this was an awful lot to take out of the cylinder. This one has some pretty gnarly pitting in it still. well, lesson learned... and John, your post needn't be so pointed... ive never been replied to like that before...not on here... are the days of supportive constructive criticism on the hamb gone?

5. basicbob

basicbob

Chrome, if you have the numbers off your mastercylinder just call Springfield Brake in Springfield Missouri. They can interchange your number for the bore mastercylinder you want or provide the correct rebuild kit. Goodluck Bob

6. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

chrome...rock auto shows raybestos # mk191 kit 1 1/8" bore kit in stock..
    the proper way to fix this is to send the cyl out and have it sleeved..
    btw, I am a retired pars guy with 40 years experience..
    dave

just checked.. rock shows #mc36063 in stock ( new unit, not rebuilt) for less than $80.00.

7. willymakeit

willymakeit

I will 2nd basicbob. I'm in Sfld.almost every weekend and back in Tulsa during the week if I can be of help.

8. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

Thanks guys. That gives me some good options.